Any Good Ideas for Targets?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any Good Ideas for Targets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any Good Ideas for Targets?

I'm wondering if anyone has come-up with some creative targets at the range (50m, 100m, 150m, 200m)? I'm shooting with good ol' iron sights... I may graduate to optics later, but for now I'll stick with the stock sights.

For my target frames, I got one of those steel framed signs from Lowe's. It's the kind that homesellers use to advertise a home for sale by owner. I take cardboard, or old posterboard from work and place and tape a couple of targets I download from various sites. I find other roadside signs and stick poster board and targets for a little variety... The framed sign lasted about 4 trips to the range before a .223 round split the top part of the frame.

Of course I usually bring a few soda cans, milk and juice containers. I've found that by putting shreds of cardboard into the clear milk and juice containers, It makes them 'wiggle' a little, so I can tell that it's been struck without it flying around.

I've tried various colors of paper (plain white, bright yellow, neon green, etc.) The best colors seem to be light gray and medium manilla. Maybe it's just me, but they're easier in the sunshine of the outdoor range where I shoot.

Anybody got any other better ideas on light wood frames, or more creative targets??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

we usually take three 2X4s and make an h frame on the ground then use two pieces of strapping for uprights as tall as you want. then staple cardboard to them. can make em for a few bucks a piece and scrounge cardboard for free and tape targets of your choice to em or use a sharpie and draw em on

Old 07-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #3

Hand grenades work pretty well.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Once you are sighted in; 1 gallon milk jugs. They approximate
chest size and react very nice to center hits.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 AM   #5

I print one of these up and have bunch of copies made at office depot. They are cheap, and provide a very precise aiming point. You obviously aim at the bottom of the triangle, you set the bottom of the triangle on the top of the front sight. For one this large I put another blank piece below it to show the group.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #6

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I used wet phone books one time, they worked great.
You can tell when you hit them by a big splat of paper flying.
They were going to be dry, but I duct taped them together put them in the back of the truck the night before I went shooting. It rained that night & when the bed liner filled up with water they got real wet.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've got some steels that are about 10" in diameter and are 1/4" thick. I had them cut out of scrap steel on the water jet at the last place I worked. I welded those to fence posts and ground the ends to a point. They go into the ground easily and have stood up to a lot of abuse. They've been hit with everything from 9mm Luger to 3" 12 ga slugs. They normally take hits from .45 ACP and are still in pretty good shape. I just hit them with a new coat of $.99/can Walmart spray paint every few trips to the woods.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Liberals??

Obama Voters??

ACORN members??

GITMO Detainees??

I think they would be reactive in a way that would appease the average shooter.... I'm just saying...

JD

Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Liberals??

Obama Voters??

ACORN members??

GITMO Detainees??

I think they would be reactive in a way that would appease the average shooter.... I'm just saying...

JD
Which of those would be the toughest to hit do you think?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Which of those would be the toughest to hit do you think?
Oooohhhh, that could be a whole thread to itself Skull.... LOL

Liberals would be difficult just based on their overall ability to blend into the environment, since they spend their whole lives there worried about species that have no interest in them, not to mention hugging all those trees.

Obama voters would be very difficult as well. All that hot air emanating from their mouths' would act as a sort of natural mirage. Not to mention their constant changing & tap dancing around their own issues?? Tough Target for sure....

ACORN? They slink around in the shadows, they never present a full faced target that can be seen, led alone countered. The mass of them would lead to some easier shoots in a group, but identifying them successfully would make the overall shoot more difficult.

GITMO Detainees?? Probably the easiest of the bunch. Lots of cell time has probably led to limited cardio, though their constant soccer games might prove otherwise. With them dropping to pray 5 times a day, that would lead to some scheduled shooting times, so I would have to give them the easiest of the bunch tag.

JD