Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any experience with light/ultra light barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

Default Any experience with light/ultra light barrels

I am thinking about building an AR for my girl, but her major complaint about mine is the weight. With a DD S2W CHF 18" barrel I can easily cut some weight with a 16" and a standard cut barrel.

But I saw a couple ultralight Profile barrels that seemed to really cut down on the weight. Wondering if anyone has any experience.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I have a Noveske 16" light weight barrel and I love it. You can absolutely tell the difference. A light weight barrel with a light weight key mod rail system is the way to go IMO. If she has smaller hands, I think she'd like the key mod rail system. I have small hands, for a guy, and I can get my entire hand around the rail. Big plus for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #3

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most of the parts guys have a "pencil" barrel. I built one as a super light rifle with no frills, weighs 6.1 pounds however the lighter you go the more recoil you will have, make sure your girl can deal with that. If you start to add things like a rail or red dot weight will climb quickly.
Forgot to add a light weight can be super accurate but will heat much faster.

Last edited by Ibmikey; 04-04-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Had one once, and I couldn't tell any difference in recoil. I noticed the weight difference. If you are not shooting a lot of ammo in a short time, they can be a real advantage, but they have a greater potential for cook-offs if you shoot a lot of rounds in a shorter period of time.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

My Colt Gov't Carbine hs a light weight barrel and will still shoot sub MOA

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Like Robocop said, because it is light weight does not mean it is inaccurate. As for "cookoff's" has anyone in the sport shooting category ever experienced one? A normal shooting experience will allow for cooling between shots, squirting mag after mag can produce sufficient heat to cause the rifle to double however that type of shooting is inconsistent with hunting or target shooting.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #7

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Like Robocop said, because it is light weight does not mean it is inaccurate. As for "cookoff's" has anyone in the sport shooting category ever experienced one? A normal shooting experience will allow for cooling between shots, squirting mag after mag can produce sufficient heat to cause the rifle to double however that type of shooting is inconsistent with hunting or target shooting.

I was wondering this as well. I can't see it being a issue with a SA maybe a FA it would be a concern.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #8

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
I have experienced cookoff on two different occasions. Once when I was active duty Army and the other when I was bump firing. You have to put a LOT of rounds downrange to make it happen.The dedicated machine guns are open bolt for that reason. I can't afford enough ammo to bump fire any more so it's not an issue with me anymore.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Lighter weight ARs are my preference. And in building I'll generally lean more toward the pencil profile barrels. They're durable and more than equal to the rigors 99% of AR owners would think of subjecting them to. Unless we're talking about a special purpose rifle, I consider 7lbs to sort of be the 'vanilla' weight for a utility AR. And it's easy enough to be a little lighter than that without breaking the bank. Keep in mind that balance is every bit as critical as overall weight. Many 8lb rifles can feel as if they're 10+lbs due simply to being so front-heavy. If the barrel is pulling the front end down, it's going to feel heavy.

Many entry level ARs are actually quite light. Something like an M&P Sport will weigh in around 6.5lbs and set you back under $700. And it'll probably be plenty sufficient.

For higher end stuff, PSA ($700-1000), BCM ($1200), Daniel Defense ($1400), and Noveske ($1500-2500) offer really good light profile barrels. Prices are for the complete rifle, of course.

This is my light weight...pencil profile BCM 14.5" middy, 6.5# with optics and all. And it runs like a champ:

60po.jpg   jsif.jpg  

Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #10

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

I have a light weight profile 14.7 middy , it seems to have that perfect balance for me .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens