anti-seize compound

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > anti-seize compound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5510 Times on 2877 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default anti-seize compound

reading through the installation instructions on the rra advanced half quad free float tube it says to use anti-seize compound. why would you use that on an ar15?? coming apart isnt a desired feature in my understandings.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

unless you want to go spec ops on us, and take in the ocean for super cool operations

Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker17 View Post
unless you want to go spec ops on us, and take in the ocean for super cool operations
lol no im scared of sharks. navy wasnt even a consideration!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
reading through the installation instructions on the rra advanced half quad free float tube it says to use anti-seize compound. why would you use that on an ar15?? coming apart isnt a desired feature in my understandings.
Coming apart isn't a desired feature but getting it apart at some future point may be. The anti-seize compound will prevent the tube from seizing to the threads but will not prevent a tight, rattle-free fit.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Ahhh thats why i know nothing about it. Didnt have ff tubes when i was in the army. Ok guess i hit the hardware store tomorrow.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Anti-sieze like for spark plugs in my car? At least it is available in small packages that aren't expensive.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

Exactly...same principle.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

Liked 28 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Even without free-float tubes, anti-seize is recommended (or is that mandated in the TM?) for installing the barrel nut to the receiver.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact View Post
Even without free-float tubes, anti-seize is recommended (or is that mandated in the TM?) for installing the barrel nut to the receiver.
my tm says to use molybdenum disulfide grease. ive always just used generic gun grease. i used the military stuff in the army it came with the tools heh. i guess i didnt connect the dots with calling it anti-seize compound. until you mentioned looking in the tm at least. ive been doing barrel swaps so long i havent looked in the book in years lol

Last edited by JonM; 11-30-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my tm says to use molybdenum disulfide grease. ive always just used generic gun grease. i used the military stuff in the army it came with the tools heh. i guess i didnt connect the dots with calling it anti-seize compound. until you mentioned looking in the tm at least. ive been doing barrel swaps so long i havent looked in the book in years lol
Just avoid anything with graphite as a lubricant. Graphite and aluminum do not go together in a dissimilar metal connection, it may accelerate the galvanic corrosion and seizing that you are trying to prevent.