Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   anti-seize compound (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/anti-seize-compound-52736/)

JonM 11-29-2011 10:27 PM

anti-seize compound

reading through the installation instructions on the rra advanced half quad free float tube it says to use anti-seize compound. why would you use that on an ar15?? coming apart isnt a desired feature in my understandings.

moneymaker17 11-29-2011 10:49 PM

unless you want to go spec ops on us, and take in the ocean for super cool operations :rolleyes:

JonM 11-29-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moneymaker17 (Post 639350)
unless you want to go spec ops on us, and take in the ocean for super cool operations :rolleyes:

lol no im scared of sharks. navy wasnt even a consideration!!

Jpyle 11-30-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 639331)
reading through the installation instructions on the rra advanced half quad free float tube it says to use anti-seize compound. why would you use that on an ar15?? coming apart isnt a desired feature in my understandings.

Coming apart isn't a desired feature but getting it apart at some future point may be. The anti-seize compound will prevent the tube from seizing to the threads but will not prevent a tight, rattle-free fit.

JonM 11-30-2011 03:52 AM

Ahhh thats why i know nothing about it. Didnt have ff tubes when i was in the army. Ok guess i hit the hardware store tomorrow.

orangello 11-30-2011 04:44 AM

:confused: Anti-sieze like for spark plugs in my car? At least it is available in small packages that aren't expensive.

Jpyle 11-30-2011 05:59 PM

Exactly...same principle.

4thPointOfContact 11-30-2011 09:15 PM

Even without free-float tubes, anti-seize is recommended (or is that mandated in the TM?) for installing the barrel nut to the receiver.

JonM 11-30-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4thPointOfContact (Post 640304)
Even without free-float tubes, anti-seize is recommended (or is that mandated in the TM?) for installing the barrel nut to the receiver.

my tm says to use molybdenum disulfide grease. ive always just used generic gun grease. i used the military stuff in the army it came with the tools heh. i guess i didnt connect the dots with calling it anti-seize compound. until you mentioned looking in the tm at least. ive been doing barrel swaps so long i havent looked in the book in years lol

Jpyle 12-01-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 640319)
my tm says to use molybdenum disulfide grease. ive always just used generic gun grease. i used the military stuff in the army it came with the tools heh. i guess i didnt connect the dots with calling it anti-seize compound. until you mentioned looking in the tm at least. ive been doing barrel swaps so long i havent looked in the book in years lol

Just avoid anything with graphite as a lubricant. Graphite and aluminum do not go together in a dissimilar metal connection, it may accelerate the galvanic corrosion and seizing that you are trying to prevent.