Anoying rattle in my M-4 style stock

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Anoying rattle in my M-4 style stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anoying rattle in my M-4 style stock

Any tricks to tighten up the loosness in my DPMS collapsable stock? It's a nice enough stock it just need to be a bit quieter.

Raywick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Are you talking about the stock itself, loose on the tube? Electrical tape inside the slider will help. If you're talking about an internal rattle, the buffer has sliding weights that clatter around - normal.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The part that slides on the tube is loose.

Raywick

Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Well like Quentin said... Maybe try sealing some tape around the buffer tube and then put the stock back on it and see if it fits better on there

Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll give it a try, if I don't like it is easy enough to remove. It's just with all the AR stuff on the market I figured someone had something a little more perminant. I got the AR bug right now and lovin it!. 3 years ago I would not have given you a plug nickel for one of the ugly SOBS now I'm hooked, what's up with that?

Raywick

Old 11-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #6

I know what you mean, I used to be a huge AK guy ( still am) and didn't care for the AR... And I built my own last year and love it! Now I own two and I'm working on an AR10 now

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Old 11-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

greenriver,

If the stock is excessively loose on the extension tube (Buffer Tube) There could be a chance that someone has put a Mil-Spec Extension Tube on the rifle and a commercial production stock. The Mil Spec Extensions Tubes are smaller in diameter than the common produced commercial model and require a mil spec stock. This happens a lot of times if someone built the guns from a DPMS or other manufacturers stripped lower by using miscellaneous parts. If it just has a slight wiggle or rattle that is common on most all collapsible stocks no mater who the manufacturer. As far as any noise caused by the buffer and buffer spring just lube the spring with a good lube like Breakfree, G-96 or other. That will reduce any noise with them significantly.