Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Another NIB coated bolt carrier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Default Another NIB coated bolt carrier

My supplier, surplus ammo, has started coating their carriers with NiB. They didn't raise the price on them, so since I am starting my next build, I went ahead and ordered one for it. I should have a range report in a few weeks to give the group. I haven't had any problems with their parts, so I don't anticipate any with this one. I was kinda leery at first because of the results of the BCG hot potato thread a while back with Fail Zero, but I will give these folks the benefit of the doubt.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

KG7IL Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1704 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 5195

I like Surplus Ammo. I have visited both of their local stores (Parkland and Tacoma)...

Good selection, Good stuff.

I will be watching for your report. I should go pick up one, or a couple three or more ......

I have included a link so that others may enjoy what we already know. Surplus Ammo and Arms is a great place.

http://www.surplusammo.com/bolt-carrier-groups/

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 04-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #3

Default Range Report

Performed smoothly, as I expected from SAA. M16 bolt carrier group for $85 a very good deal for me. I had no problems in the past from BCG's I bought from them. I don't know if it would be worth an extra $20 for the NIB coating, but thankfully I didn't have to pay it. Anyway, it performed flawlessly, and what little residue there was was easily wiped off, even after a few hours. I shot five brass rounds, five blanks, and five Tulammo. All cycled with no problems, and quarter size shot groups(except for the blanks, in case someone wants to go there) with iron sites at about 30 yards. I recommend this BCG as a very good deal. It functions as well as any I have ever had.

20140427_120141-1-.jpg  

Last edited by fsted2a; 04-27-2014 at 04:33 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 222 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Thanks for the report!

While I might have some rifles that warrant the investment, I may never buy a $250+ NiB BCG. My BCMs and PSAs just haven't left much to be desired. But with generally reputable NiB's out there for well under $150 (SAA, AIM, PSA, etc), it's something I intend to explore. At some point shortly, I'll probably have one to play around with.

The $100 M16 phosphate BCGs from these companies (SAA, PSA, AIM) have been really good in my experience, so they certainly seem worth throwing a little more money at for a fancy low-maint finish.

Is it necessary? Arguably not. But that doesn't mean it isn't progress.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
The $100 M16 phosphate BCGs from these companies (SAA, PSA, AIM) have been really good in my experience, so they certainly seem worth throwing a little more money at for a fancy low-maint finish.

Is it necessary? Arguably not. But that doesn't mean it isn't progress.
My thoughts exactly. I am probably going to move this BCG to another AR just for aesthetics. 10 to 20 bucks difference might be worth it if the brand is reputable to start with, but paying $250 for a BCG just because of the coating is stupid.

sweeper22 Likes This