Another ar newb
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Another ar newb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Another ar newb

Hi folks I've been trolling through the ar threads for a while and figure I'd start my own q and a session.
I've been itching for an ar for a while and about may of last year was about so close to buying a ruger sr 556. I'm glad now I diddnt.
After reading through agent tikkis excellent beginners guide and mulling over websites I think I've came up with a vague notion of what I want.
Purpose wise I won't be reaching out to extremely long ranges will be shooting off hand mostly. Weight isn't that much of an issue but I still don't want to be humping a pig around.it Will definitely be seeing a high round count. I will be setting a loading bench up soon hopefully.

I've Initially decided with a PSA stripped lower(79.95)
with their ultimate parts kit(comes with magpul furniture which I'd be buying anyway and a giesselle ssa 2 stage trigger. ( 369.00 )
For an upper I'm looking at a 16 inch BCM mid length with a Midwest industries 12in hand guard( 719.00 )
So I'm looking at 1200 bucks plus transfer fees and sum back up sights. Staying away from optics and stuff till I research it. Il hopefully be geared up by may for purchase.

So what are your thoughts ar gurus is it a decent build is there anything else I should know or any advice on tools or anything I should get?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sounds like a good plan.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I think you'll very be happy. Please provide the requisite gun pron as soon a possible

Might i recommend diamondhead sights?

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-26-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've read so many AR writes it gives me a headache to think about it. If I ever buy an AR it will be a PSA kit, I'll never wear it out.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Sounds solid. May I suggest a stag upper, high volume of shooting they have a lifetime warrantee.. But thats just a suggestion other than that solid.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenson07
Sounds solid. May I suggest a stag upper, high volume of shooting they have a lifetime warrantee.. But thats just a suggestion other than that solid.
What do you feel the Stag has over the BCM?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What do you feel the Stag has over the BCM?
I guess a lifetime warranty, but I think they only offer than with the upgraded milspec package.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I guess a lifetime warranty, but I think they only offer than with the upgraded milspec package.
Hmmm, could it be that Stag believes their $100 milspec parts upgrade is of better quality and more likely to last a lifetime.

homelessguy01, sounds like you're on the right track with PSA and BCM.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #9

Nothing over them. Just a friendly " hey have you looked at this option" and its now with all stag barrels. like I said though your plan is rock solid. You've done your homework and made a solid plan. Its nice to see instead of most who start out and flock to the nearest blog asking for help instead of doing some research. Good on you! Hope to see pics soon. The ar in my profile just got new magpul heat shields and rail sections this weekend and the new stock is coming!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the input guys! il gave to check up on those diamond head sights. I have to say this forum is great source of information even the old threads are a great read!

Optics wise I was thinking aimpoint maybe. Do they have any reasonably priced mid range scopes or red dot? I know jack all about optics