Angry Question for the U.S. Government
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Angry Question for the U.S. Government

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Angry Question for the U.S. Government

If you wouldn't trust the 5.56 to take down a deer for you, why would you expect it to protect you from bad guys with body armor and automatic weapons?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Because if you kill an enemy soldier, his associates leave him and keep on fighting. If you wound one enemy soldier, then one or two of his associates stop fighting to administer first aid. One shot and you can effectively take out multiple targets. And just like with a deer, shot placement is key and the 5.56 can be pretty devistating to a human. Give it some credit.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #3

as true as that sounds, I've heard far too many horror stories of insurgents continuing to shoot, to run, to kill. A friend of mine literally shot the man, and watched him turn around to see who shot him! Too many American deaths have resulted from a lack of kinetic energy.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Which is probably why alot of specialized units are using M14s I think, as well as the military considering use of the 6.8SPC round in the AR platform.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #5

honestly, you'd think they would've caught on a little sooner. It's been over 40 years of the 5.56 runt, coupled with direct impingement! So we've been giving our country's protectors a weapon that possesses barely any stopping power, combined with the fact that it's extremely vulnereble to failures, stoppages, and jams. It's time for a change, gentlemen.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryACR View Post
honestly, you'd think they would've caught on a little sooner. It's been over 40 years of the 5.56 runt, coupled with direct impingement! So we've been giving our country's protectors a weapon that possesses barely any stopping power, combined with the fact that it's extremely vulnereble to failures, stoppages, and jams. It's time for a change, gentlemen.
But it is lightweight and and and spiffy looking.

j/k I'm not a good enough shot for the .223.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That rifle has come a long way in it's forty years of use. Gas impingment system or not, it's still a good rifle. The first incarnations may have not been that great, but today's AR's are completely different.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryACR View Post
A friend of mine literally shot the man, and watched him turn around to see who shot him!
Shooting people in the back is considered bad etiquette, anyway

Old 11-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

The reason for the small caliber is simple - marksmanship is a lost skill and soldiers can carry more rounds of 5.56 than the bigger calibers. I know a LOT of combat soldiers as I work for the 3rd ID and there are no real complaints that the 5.56 is not effective. My SIL was a Cav Scout and his M4 served him very well in combat in the desert. When the soldiers tell me it works - I generally believe them. You may have heard stories - I've talked with a lot of the soldiers directly.

As far as the 5.56 being a hunting round, any game animal is more difficult to kill humanely than a human so that's why larger rounds are mandated...

Last edited by NGIB; 11-17-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #10

Never had issues with 5.56 or the M16/M4 platform. In country or CONUS.