Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Anderson lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
fev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Anderson lowers

Any one heard of these & are they any good?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 AM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never heard of them. And the website doesn't have any real details on the lower.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #3

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Anderson has a pretty good rep on ar15armory.com

Old 04-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Truthfully, the lower is just the casing for the functional internal parts and a place to mount your buttstock. What parts go into your lower is far more important than whose roll-mark is on the side. If it's a mil-spec forged aluminum product and you use good parts to assemble the lower, you'll be good to go.

Post a picture when you can, I want to see what the roll-mark looks like.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Supporting Member

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

I disagree~ All lowers are not equal and alike and some can even have dimensional problems. There are differences in the aluminum from the high quality 7075 T-6 There are forged lowers which are top quality and then there are cast lowers. Color and quality of finish also vary. Some are anodized some are coated with for a simple explanation (Painted) In the past we have experienced some lowers that had such issues as the broaching dimensions on the Magazine well out of spec. They would operate with a 30 round magazines but would not work and 20 round magazines due to the dimension issue. So my advise if you do not know anything about a lower stay away from it. And too many pop up manufacturers coming out of the woodwork for a quick buck trying to capitalize on the demand with little experience with the weapon system. There are too many other good and reputable companies that produce lowers at a fair price there is no need to roll the dice! They may be fine but once you buy it you own it!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Sniper03 makes a good point. We assume most cheap lowers will work all right but no doubt there are some bad ones out there. As cheap as stripped lowers from known sources are, is it a good idea to buy unknown. Personally, I like to kick in a few more bucks in the lower to get something I'm proud of. Even $20-50 more is a drop in the bucket compared to the complete rifle yet it (the rollmark) really puts your signature on your build.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
I disagree~ All lowers are not equal and alike and some can even have dimensional problems. There are differences in the aluminum from the high quality 7075 T-6 There are forged lowers which are top quality and then there are cast lowers. Color and quality of finish also vary. Some are anodized some are coated with for a simple explanation (Painted) In the past we have experienced some lowers that had such issues as the broaching dimensions on the Magazine well out of spec. They would operate with a 30 round magazines but would not work and 20 round magazines due to the dimension issue. So my advise if you do not know anything about a lower stay away from it. And too many pop up manufacturers coming out of the woodwork for a quick buck trying to capitalize on the demand with little experience with the weapon system. There are too many other good and reputable companies that produce lowers at a fair price there is no need to roll the dice! They may be fine but once you buy it you own it!

I can attest to this as I've recently discovered that my Ardel Engineering lower that I used on my first build has a weird relief area on the rear shelf where the take-down pin goes. This relief lead to some side to side slop in the upper to lower fit that even a wedge could not fully cure. My RRA lower for my next project has a very tight fit with my current upper as it does not have this relief in the rear. Chalk one up to a Noob mistake. Im at work right now but ill throw up some pics of the suspect area when I get home.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 04-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's the Ardel Engineering

Name:  ForumRunner_20120406_200852.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  19.8 KB

And here's the RRA

Name:  ForumRunner_20120406_201043.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  23.5 KB

I have no idea why they cut it out like that on the right side but I guess for 95.00 plus tax I can't complain too much. It doesn't seem to affect accuracy or anything, just leads to a lil bit of side to side slop in fitment. But ill take the AE finish over the RRA anyday . The RRA finish tends to scratch really easily.

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"