Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ammo reference numbers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ammo-reference-numbers-58276/)

Okie_fd 02-19-2012 11:56 PM

Ammo reference numbers

Alrighty after looking at all the deferent ammo I bought XM855LC green tip 62gr. Shoots fine and seems to hit extremely hard. What I was wondering what's the deference in the M855 , XL193, and M193? I'm not sure if there is any more reference. Those are the one I've came across so far.

I'm looking for some good SHTF ammo to stock up on. I bought the XM855 because it was a good deal at my local Gander Mountain 420 rnds 140$. Is there any better ammo 5.56 caliber specifically? I have a 1-7 twist and that is why I went with 62 gr. I just got the gun last month and today is the first time I shot it. So this is the only ammo I have experience with. Any help with experience to save me from having to just try all the others.

Okie_fd 02-20-2012 03:51 PM

Guess I will just buy them all.

Ranger-6 02-20-2012 03:59 PM

Buy them all, shoot them, record your data, and select your best one.
Just a barfly, buy them all a drink, test fly each one, reminisce the experience, and make a nest with the best one.

treehugger49 02-20-2012 04:14 PM

M855 - 62 grain w/ green tip steel penetrator.

M193 - 55 grain FMJ.

I shoot both and they're military grade. Better accuracy can be had with good factory ammunition, such as Hornady V-MAX, and reloaders roll their own with great success, too.

Okie_fd 02-20-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugger49
M855 - 62 grain w/ green tip steel penetrator.

M193 - 55 grain FMJ.

I shoot both and they're military grade. Better accuracy can be had with good factory ammunition, such as Hornady V-MAX, and reloaders roll their own with great success, too.

Tree what's M and XM? I read on some page that M is military and the XM is like seconds or not up to par. Is that a correct description?

Tackleberry1 02-20-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_fd (Post 715085)
Tree what's M and XM? I read on some page that M is military and the XM is like seconds or not up to par. Is that a correct description?

I'd like to know the answer to this one too.

treehugger49 02-21-2012 12:05 AM

The stuff you and I can buy is "XM" designated. It is my understanding that those are rounds which, for reasons other than reliability or functionality, have not passed the military quality control standards, perhaps for case deformation (very rare) or other mostly cosmetic reasons. The other designations you see appended on the ammo description refers to how the ammo is packaged, like in stripper clips or 20/200/400 round boxes.

I've shot a lot of XM193 and XM855 and have never encountered a problem.

That having been said, I am a relative newbie to the AR platform, having purchased my first one a couple of years ago, and having "built" my first one last year. I'm sure there are folks with more experience that can add to my explanation.

Chandler51 02-21-2012 12:31 AM

I've been told that the xm are "pulldowns". Rejected for one reason or another. If you look at them closely, most will have dented brass. I assume that's the reason they were pulled.

I don't know that as fact, but it's what I've been told. FWIW.....

Okie_fd 02-21-2012 01:28 AM

Thanks guys, the ones I bought looked fine to me. I might play around with some hornady, although these was pretty cheap.

I think I will head back this weekend see if they still have them on sale and get another can. I guess if I come across some with just a M reference I will get them. I know the Hornady are a little pricy.

Thanks Tree and Chandler

erandyc 02-21-2012 03:59 AM

Been shooting 55 grain Winchesters. Wanted to give the 62 grains a try. Bought from CTD, probably one out fifteen were damaged or flawed. Thought it was a good deal originally. Then talking to some friends, they had the same problems. I found a place US Armorment out of Philly. The sell 500 rounds m855 ss109 62 grain for 189.00. Supposed to be brand new and in boxes no stripper clips. They will be here Thursday. I will let you know. It was the "only" place that I could find that said new without the stripper clips. Will let ya know.