Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > American Tactical Gas Piston AR15 Atlantic Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

but the pistons don't impress me as much as they use to. After having built a few rifles, I have come to the conclusion that most of the bad AR's/M16's were built by someone who didn't give a f*** , which p***es people off and prejudices them against DI's altogether.

I bought a piston gun SPECIFICALLY so I wouldn't have to tear down and clean the BCG after EVERY range session.

I also have an ArmaLite AR10 that has never failed in any fashion, or given me any reason to think negatively toward DI guns. Other than after cleaning it, I look like I just tore down a 30 year old engine block.

Lotta money to spend I know, for no other reason than I'm a lazy @$$...

Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #12

Liked 201 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I bought a piston gun SPECIFICALLY so I wouldn't have to tear down and clean the BCG after EVERY range session.

I also have an ArmaLite AR10 that has never failed in any fashion, or given me any reason to think negatively toward DI guns. Other than after cleaning it, I look like I just tore down a 30 year old engine block.

A lot of people are under the misconception that you have to get the gun "white glove" clean for it to continue to work again. Hell, when I get done, I spray brake cleaner in the gas tube and on the BCG, change out my gas rings, put some lube on it, and call it a day. 5 minutes tops. Ready to go to the range again. Now it's Miller time Every time you put a brush to the BCG, you are actually milling or honing it a tiny amount. I don't have anyone inspecting my gun, so I only have to keep it functional, not pretty. Now who is the lazier @$$, you or me?

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by fsted2a; 01-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #13

Quote:

Depending on which piston you got, some take more maintenance than a good DI gun.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #14

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-cycling-operation-discussion-35134/index4.html

I think Quentin and I covered most of the ground on Piston v. DI in this thread.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

A lot of people are under the misconception that you have to get the gun "white glove" clean for it to continue to work again. Hell, when I get done, I spray brake cleaner in the gas tube and on the BCG, change out my gas rings, put some lube on it, and call it a day. 5 minutes tops. Ready to go to the range again. Now it's Miller time Every time you put a brush to the BCG, you are actually milling or honing it a tiny amount. I don't have anyone inspecting my gun, so I only have to keep it functional, not pretty. Now who is the lazier @$$, you or me?
Ha ha...I'm gonna print this out to show my "former" Marine buddy who is always on me about it. He's been known to shower with his!

GOD BLESS THE USMC!!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Ha ha...I'm gonna print this out to show my "former" Marine buddy who is always on me about it. He's been known to shower with his!

GOD BLESS THE USMC!!!!
I lucked out and the Marine Corp wasn't shipping guys out as fast as the Army. After taking the ASVAB w/ the Corp I walked down to the Army recruiter and was on a jet in a couple weeks. Looking back I'm glad I did. I have met a couple real cool squared away Marines but the majority in my experience are boarder line brainwashed.

Battle movements to the chow hall, seriously?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

I lucked out and the Marine Corp wasn't shipping guys out as fast as the Army. After taking the ASVAB w/ the Corp I walked down to the Army recruiter and was on a jet in a couple weeks. Looking back I'm glad I did. I have met a couple real cool squared away Marines but the majority in my experience are boarder line brainwashed.

Battle movements to the chow hall, seriously?
Yeah..heh heh...my friend is a GREAT guy, and is squared away...business owner, great family. But he can get pretty hardcore sometimes. But that was his personality long before he became a Marine...

Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Yeah..heh heh...my friend is a GREAT guy, and is squared away...business owner, great family. But he can get pretty hardcore sometimes. But that was his personality long before he became a Marine...
Hardcore, driven, uncompromising is one things what I mentioned is totally different.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Hardcore, driven, uncompromising is one things what I mentioned is totally different.
Yup... I hear ya...

Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #20

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I couldn't agree more. Like many others I was brainwashed with the white glove mentality in the service. For decades after I got out I kept my guns almost inspection clean and what good did it do me? What it did was cause me countless skipped days shooting because the clean up was a pain - or I'd take only one or two guns because I didn't want to hassle with cleaning more.

Now I keep them clean enough and enjoy Miller time and range time a lot more! Meanwhile the guns don't seem to mind.

In combat you don't have some 2nd Looey running around nitpicking how clean your gas tube is - if he tried he'd find something significantly larger stuffed up where the sun don't shine!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.