You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Alright, I'll bite. BCM it is.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3504 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
So would you think 2moa would suit me better. I guess you're right. 250 is a little far. Lol. For a red dot at least. I just wonder if the 2moa is easy enough to pick up on quickly at closer ranges with multiple targets.
I have shot longer ranges for a few years and even the basic Mil-Dot, at 800 yards covers a generous portion of the target. It's annoying when you are trying to really put rounds in the right place.

Now with an AR, it's more about an initial full body hit, with a couple of follow up hits as needed to subdue (read: END) the threat.

A 4MOA dot is going to be awesome room to room or across the street to the mook behind the old rusted out Buick. But if you have to shoot down 3 city blocks at a partially obscured target? Not so much.

2MOA is going to be much more forgiving, especially on man sized targets, but far from perfect for putting rounds in a tight formation.

It comes down to application. Are you really building a CQB weapon that you want to stretch to 270 yards? I would honestly suggest an EoTech with their 4X magnifier that can be added and removed in the drop of a hat. Great set up, but expensive.

LaRue makes a quick mount that returns to zero with two levers that allows you to pull a glass optic and replace it with a heads-up, CQB style when you need to go close. But also expensive.

It comes down to what YOU want for accuracy and what YOU are willing to pay.

I have an EoTech on my 18" Larue with a set of flip ups from YHM if I lose battery power because of the EMP fired by the space zombies.

But I also have a take down bolt gun that fits in a backpack if I need to deliver a punch at range.

To each his own, just make sure it works for you.