Alright Critique My Build Plan
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Alright Critique My Build Plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Alright Critique My Build Plan

TO DO LIST – AR 15

Spikes Tactical Stripped Lower Punisher w/ OD Green Color Fill $129.00 + $30 FFL Ordered
ALG Combat Trigger $65
Spikes Tactical Trigger Guard or Magpul same price $19.95
Palmetto Fields Lower Part Kit $29.99
Spikes Tactical Buffer Tube Assembly Kit $61.95
Vltor BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Large Charging Handle Assembly $44.95
Magpul CTR Stock OD Green $79.95
Magpul BUIS Gen 2 fold down $98

Don’t know about safety yet or fancier sites. Maybe Vortex Sparc but Love the Eotech XPS2

Suggestions
Don’t know which sling yet but like a tactical secure looking swing something 2 or 3 position
One of these muzzle breaks later on
Battle Comp 1.0 Compensator $139
BattleComp 2.0 SCV Compensator $159
Surefire MB556Kmuzzle brake $149

Haven’t Decided Between these Completed Uppers
BCM Standard 16” Mid Length w/ DD Lite 12” $779
BCM Standard Lite Barrel 16” Mid Length w/ DD Lite 12” $779
BCM Standard 16” Mid Length w/ VTAC TRX 13” Handguard $639
BCM Standard 16” Mid Length w/ Midwest SSG2-12” Handguard $639

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #2

What are you planning to use it for?

V-TAC padded is the best sling on the market IMO.

You should try the check weld on a few stocks, I dumped my MP Moe for a SOPMOD immediately after shooting and AR with one. LMT stands behind them 100% also. I cracked on doing MORTARS incorrectly and they replaced it in 2 days before a class I was taking.

The EMOD stock is nice also.

I like the M4 profile but the lightweights are very noticeable. They do get hot fast though if you are prone to shooting 3-5 shots per target throughout the mag and go through a few mags in 20 minutes I'd stay with the M4 profile.

For an all around gun, the fixed FP is the way.

The birdcage is all the comp/FS you need on a gun IMO. The spikes triggers are the best bang for buck IME and what I run on all my guns. I can't justify a $200 trigger in every gun and the spikes is a consistent 5-6lb out of he box which is much cleaner than a LPK trigger.

Also, if you haven't ran the large Gunfighter and KNOW you like it? Consider the medium, it does not get hung up on gear but provides a lot of contact.

Last edited by dvcguns; 03-20-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #3

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlarue1013 View Post
Suggestions - Don’t know which sling yet but like a tactical secure looking swing something 2 or 3 position
Check out these - http://www.facebook.com/parasling best sling for the money if you ask me

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Stick w/ a VTAC or Vickers padded. Most others are way to thin for any sort of prolonged use.

I like the lightweight profile barrels w/ Troy/VTAC tubes.

Look into the Magpul STR. Good cheeck weld but still lightweight and won't pluck your beard bald.

Nice build list, look forward to seeing it completed.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Check out primaryarms.com the had a sale on Gunfighters $35.99. Better hurry up on this one.

Look into the buttstock and buffer tube assembly (buffer tube, carbine buffer, spring, castle nut & end plate) combo packages from DSG ARMS they are super cheap and very good people to deal with. Moe, ctr, str emod imod etc etc,
Id look into the STR, people like the extra checkweld it provides.
Always choose milspec over commercial.

$29.99 field repair kit is good for spare parts but, id recommend getting the lower parts kit without fire control group.

I like the troy vtac 13", it very light, but would be better imo with a lw barrel. The dd lite rail is also a good choice if you want / need lotsa rail space.

Look into getting a light. The stramlight TRLS 1s is a cost effective choice. Fairly bright at 160 lumens, AND it comes with a built in mount. The surefire is a little better made but about twice the price.

And I think your on the right track get a brake later, save ur money for mags and a metric ****on of ammo!!!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

vickers sling is highly regarded, I personally have a ares armor husky nice and thick and padded comfortable. I choose it only because I am local to Ares Armor and was able to demo the sling before purchase. I think if I hadn't been able to play with the husky, id have gone with the vickers. You may have to buy some qd attachments so look into how you will be attaching the sling.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Check out these - http://www.facebook.com/parasling best sling for the money if you ask me
Looks good thx

Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Stick w/ a VTAC or Vickers padded. Most others are way to thin for any sort of prolonged use.

I like the lightweight profile barrels w/ Troy/VTAC tubes.

Look into the Magpul STR. Good cheeck weld but still lightweight and won't pluck your beard bald.

Nice build list, look forward to seeing it completed.
Great Stuff

Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #9

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

you dont need a muzzle break on an ar, especially a .223

Old 03-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Check out primaryarms.com the had a sale on Gunfighters $35.99. Better hurry up on this one.

Look into the buttstock and buffer tube assembly (buffer tube, carbine buffer, spring, castle nut & end plate) combo packages from DSG ARMS they are super cheap and very good people to deal with. Moe, ctr, str emod imod etc etc,
Id look into the STR, people like the extra checkweld it provides.
Always choose milspec over commercial.

$29.99 field repair kit is good for spare parts but, id recommend getting the lower parts kit without fire control group.

I like the troy vtac 13", it very light, but would be better imo with a lw barrel. The dd lite rail is also a good choice if you want / need lotsa rail space.

Look into getting a light. The stramlight TRLS 1s is a cost effective choice. Fairly bright at 160 lumens, AND it comes with a built in mount. The surefire is a little better made but about twice the price.

And I think your on the right track get a brake later, save ur money for mags and a metric ****on of ammo!!!!!
Great stuff as always!! Where and how can I get on top of sales to grab stuff up? Any special way than constant check? Charging handle sale had passed...but I would have done it right away....love saving money to blow on more stuff later. LOL