Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Along came a Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Along came a Spider

So I’m checking out lower receivers on line just for shi1ts and giggles. Figured I’d call my FFL to see if he’s going to charge the same outrageous fee just for a hunk of aluminum. And guess what turns out to be hanging around in his backroom? Ten purrdy little black spiders.

[IMG][/IMG]

He was asking the same price as online and more than half off the FFL fee. So after the CA ten day gun jail sentence I’ll have a new Spikes tactical lower in the safe.

So let the obsessing begin. Right now I’m leaning toward something a little different. Not Cane 458 weird different, but maybe a 6.8 sort of different. With a twenty inch RR upper and a two stage trigger. Maybe even one of those Cali special ray gun grip stocks. Ahhh how the mind races.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 03-21-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Some guys have all the Luck.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 AM   #3

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Why not a 6.5 Grendel?

Shooting a 123-grain Lapua Scenar with a ballistic coefficient of .547 and a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps delivers outstanding accuracy out to 1200 yards. At 600 yards, tennis ball size targets are no match for this flat shooting round. For extreme accuracy, formidable terminal ballistics and long range applications, the 6.5 Grendel® from Alexander Arms is unbeatable.

Compared to the 5.56 the 6.5 Grendel® with roughly twice the lead mass gives you the potential for twice the mass of fragments, and if maximum fragmentation is coincident with maximum temporary cavity, the terminal ballistics are quite convincing indeed all in a package that shoots flatter, with 50% less felt recoil than 7.62 NATO M80 ball.

Still supersonic at 1200 yards! Purrdy impressive Jo!

I think this is my next AR build!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Why not a 6.5 Grendel?

Shooting a 123-grain Lapua Scenar with a ballistic coefficient of .547 and a muzzle velocity of 2600 fps delivers outstanding accuracy out to 1200 yards. At 600 yards, tennis ball size targets are no match for this flat shooting round. For extreme accuracy, formidable terminal ballistics and long range applications, the 6.5 Grendel® from Alexander Arms is unbeatable.

Compared to the 5.56 the 6.5 Grendel® with roughly twice the lead mass gives you the potential for twice the mass of fragments, and if maximum fragmentation is coincident with maximum temporary cavity, the terminal ballistics are quite convincing indeed all in a package that shoots flatter, with 50% less felt recoil than 7.62 NATO M80 ball.

Still supersonic at 1200 yards! Purrdy impressive Jo!

I think this is my next AR build!
Would you mind posting some competition results of great accuracy out to 1200 yds? That's mind-boggling.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #5

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabam View Post
Would you mind posting some competition results of great accuracy out to 1200 yds? That's mind-boggling.
Here a google dump;

Alexander Arms: 6.5 Grendel®

6.5 Grendel Cartridge Guide

6.5 Grendel Fan Site :: For the 6.5 Grendel Aficionado

Alexander Arms 6.5mm Grendel AR-15 Rifle

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 6.5 Grendel :: 6.5 Grendel 123 gr A-MAX®

6.5 mm Grendel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Why not a 6.5 Grendel?
Uh. A lot of reasons. Not the least of which is VERY limited barrel life and lack of ammo if you don't reload.

But. For you Cane, it's the next perfect build since you have more money and sunshine than the rest of us.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #7

I did a Google after I posted in this thread. I saw that the Grendel does very well @ 1000 yds. Bet it drops a lot between 1000 and 1200. The drop @ 1000 yds., with some loads, is over 30'. Hard to imagine compensating for that much drop.

I doubt that most builders will be shooting beyond 600 yds, anyhow. Just about all of my rifle shooting is done @ 300 yds and under.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

6.5 Creedmoor - .260 Done Right?

NEW 6.5 Creedmoor Cartridge from Hornady AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

Fulton Armory FAR.308 Titan

Still haven't given up on the idea of building a 6.5 CREEDMOOR AR. I already have one in the .260 REM, and if you want some flat shooting, try that one.

Slo