Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > For all you AR Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Consider a fully built JP rifle. Lots of serious competitors use them. They cost about as much as a Noveske or LWRC, but are much more suitible for your intended use.

I know its kind of counterintuitive, but a lot of 3g competition rifles usually don't use H buffers. They usually have lighteight buffers and bcgs in order to increase cycling rates in conjuction with adjustible gas blocks.

For you build tho, id get a standard carbine and a H buffer and maybe a H2, and swap them out and use the heaviest one that will reliably cyle your ammo. I plan to use my Rainer Arms RUC to start out competing with first, then build another rifle when I've determine I've outgrown my gear. I don't anticipate building one anytime soon but I do have a couple stripped lowers in my safe ready to go

Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am so fried today in regards with this build I keep reviewing the parts list and thinking about my purpose of each part and if it all adds up properly... I am completely stuck on the muzzle device now... You really have me thinking about what to get. I chose BattleComp because of the overall brake effect without the massive side blast, because if I am on the ground or on my side engaging targets I don't want a brake or comp that's blasting dirt and everything in my face or in my sights. I think I am just going to retire this convo today.. haha thanks though! I am definitely going to stick with the H buffer for right now. The biggest thing I solved today was the rail and stock now I just want to pin down the muzzle device and I should be set to start ordering. Thanks again!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anch368 View Post
I am so fried today in regards with this build I keep reviewing the parts list and thinking about my purpose of each part and if it all adds up properly... I am completely stuck on the muzzle device now... You really have me thinking about what to get. I chose BattleComp because of the overall brake effect without the massive side blast, because if I am on the ground or on my side engaging targets I don't want a brake or comp that's blasting dirt and everything in my face or in my sights. I think I am just going to retire this convo today.. haha thanks though! I am definitely going to stick with the H buffer for right now. The biggest thing I solved today was the rail and stock now I just want to pin down the muzzle device and I should be set to start ordering. Thanks again!
A lot of 3 gunners use the BC. It is a very good comp. Try one if you don't like it someone will buy it off of you.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So what's the main difference between the Geissele SD3g and S3G besides the curved and un-curved trigger? I am getting extremely close to ordering my parts list and want to finalize everything! Thanks!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 AM   #35

Just the shape of the trigger bow.

I had a ssa and ssa-e before trying the sd series. I switched out all my curved triggers bows to flats.

Its a personal preference thing. Ymmv.

I'm gonna buy a sd3g. Btw if you on hunt for a Geissele I have a good source that sells them for like 10% off. Bought my last two from him. Pm me and I ll link you his ad.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Agent, PM me a quote on another SD3G please.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Nearly Finished With My First Build!!!

Hey all!! First all thanks to everyone for all of your help. My first build is nearly complete just need my trigger and it's done. Figured I would post some pics and the final list of parts (which changed dramatically again). I do know that in the pics my rear take down pin is not installed, neither is the stock I am waiting on that for now (showing a buddy how to build). I am waiting for my Nikon 1-4x24 scope to come in, and I ordered a 4" rail to mount a Magpul AFG on the bottom, the red dot was just so I could shoot it. Thanks again, if you have any questions or want links to the parts, I found what I think is the lowest price on all of them. Enjoy!! I know I did

Upper:
VLTOR MUR 1A
Noveske 18" Stainless Barrel (Intermediate Gas Tube, Low Profile Gas Block)
Lancer Systems 16" Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube
Young Manufacturing Chrom National Match Light BCG
VLTOR Gunfighter CH

Lower:
Noveske Gen 2 FFL
Palmetto State Armory LPK w/o Fire Control Group
Geissele SD3G Trigger
Magpul MIAD Grip
Colt Receiver Extension
Tubb Chrome Silicon Buffer Spring
Noveske Rifle Buffer (H)
Magpul PRS

Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #38

Nice stick! How does she shoot?

Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #39

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Beautiful rifle, Anch! Hope you get your trigger, etc. soon so you can get her out to the range...

Nice to see so much thought go into a build, you're a very rare and patient person!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #40

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guys this thing shoots amazing. Recoil is almost non existent and with my red dot I am consistently shooting 1/2" MOA at 100 yards (with my reloads), and this thing is fast too. Once again Thanks!! Can't wait to try it on my lower rather than my stock Colt.