For all you AR Experts - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > For all you AR Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In response to Agent Tikki, sorry I didn't post my updated parts list I have removed the KX3 and replaced it with a BattleComp 1.0. In regards to the trigger I have some time in with the AR gold and love it but it is a 2 stage as well. Why go with the SD3g or S3g instead? The only reason I am going big with this build is because I am a big competitor I have been shooting for a long time and hold the top spots in a fair amount of the categories my club currently has. We are currently looking into starting 3 gun and I personally own a few AR's and have helped my friends build theirs. I have a Colt Match Target Competition HBAR that shoots extremely nice but isn't what I am looking for specifically for 3g. My skills aren't professional grade but enough to win a majority of competitions I just want a pro AR so that I know if I am not getting the performance I demand that it's me and not the rifle! Thank you for all the info I truly appreciate it!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #22

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't think you need a PWS buffer tube, you can get a regular milspec tube. This tube was designed for piston systems to counter carrier tilt. Your build is DI.

Why are you going with the T2 buffer right off the bat? I know why Spikes has them on all their guns. They overgas their systems. I don't think Noveske does tho. IIRC the Spikes T2 is somewhere between a standard H and H2 in weight. You may run into cycling issues. I'd at least get a standard weight carbine buffer and then tune accordingly.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Any mil-spec BCG: BCM, DD, Noveske, LMT, Colt.

16" middy: all around great

Rail: I'd reconsider the quad rail if you really want to do 3gun. Reason, weight

Trigger: Geissele SD3G

Stock: The EMod has a great cheek weld but isn't light. Take a look at the new Magpul ACS-L

Buffer: VLTOR A5 system but purchase the parts minus the stock unless you want the EMod

You really have a nice parts list.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #24

3g, you want fast and light. I've only dry fired a S3G, and the reset is incredibly short, and the pull is short and sweet. Ask MJ, he's got a SD3G.

Also for 3g, I don't thing the battle comp is a good choice for you. Get something that will be obnoxiously loud and will mitigate muzzle rise better. The Battle comp supposed to be good at everything. Good recoil mitigation, good muzzle rise compensation (tho some people report it can drive the muzzle down), good flash suprression, and not too blasty. Its a jack of all trades, master of none. If you're going for competition, get the one that has the best compensation, everything else doesn't matter. Look into the Ares Armor Effin-A. You can tune it to do exactly what you want. It will take some time to tinker with, but its insanely tuneable.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I think you're correct about the BC although I use the BC 1.5 on both ARs I use for 3gun. I'm thinking about doing a 3gun specific build w/ one of those annoyingly obnoxious brakes, probably a MB556 or that Mulicek(?) I see a lot of guys running.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok a lot to respond to.. Tiki: I was thinking about the buffer I have an h1 buffer in my colt and I was going to try that first before ordering the Spikes and see how it performed I wasn't going to order the st-t2 unless I needed it. Good point though it may not cycle because there's not enough recoil. I have read a lot about the SD3g and the S3g, and it is definitely more appealing than the AR gold however now I don't know which one to go with between the two. I mean what's the biggest differences? I will definitely look into the muzzle device thanks for the heads up about that. The only problem that I see with the Ares is that I live in NYS and the muzzle device has to be permanently attached to the barrel. I don't know how the Ares works 100% (because I don't own one) but based on how much you can adjust it I don't see how it could be NYS legal. Any other choices? MJ: I did not know the Emod was so heavy.. I was originally looking at the ACS until I saw the Emod. The rail I have been reconsidering as you posted that comment. Right now I am stuck between the Troy BattleRail TRX Extreme 15" or the Samson Evolution Series 15". Don't know which one to choose. Thanks for all the info Tikki and MJ I appreciate all the going back and forth so that I can perfect this build!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #27

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Nice parts list, Anch368, and good info... I think you'll be proud of your rifle!

I also think an H buffer should be good in a midlength like yours with a FA BCG. That's what I have in my Daniel Defense midlength. I did go to an H2 in my ArmaLite midlength but it has the lighter AR-15 BCG so the carrier moving mass is about the same. Both work well and cycle with low power Wolf ammo.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #28

wow, I'd like to see a 15" rail on a 16" barrel.....I'd think it'd look pretty nice!

Adjusting of the Effin-A doesn't require removal. Index the device so that one of the 8 rows of ports is timed into the 12 o'clock position. Just shoot it a few times and get it warm. Place set screws into the ports to adjust exhaust vectoring out the ports. Fire off a couple strings and feel how your muzzle is pushing and then plug a port in the opposite direction. IE if your muzzle is pushing up, plug a port in the 6 o'clock row. Adjust until you're happy.

One thing I did learn, (after about 100 rounds spend tuning) is that you will have to compromise. You can set it up to be perfect for off hand shooting, but it wont be perfect for benchrest shooting (two extremes). Also when I made finished mine, my friend shot it and commented on how it was pushing left for him. So I think, once you set it, its set for you. Changing stances and grips also effects your control over your weapon, so shoot from a variety of positions and make a good compromise from the start.

IMHO for a competition gun, the Effin-A is the way to go, you don't need recoil mitigation with a .223, it hardly has any recoil. Controling your muzzle will shave seconds off your time.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 01-18-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

And I lied going with a 13" rail no need for a 15" rail

Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ahhhh I can't decide and this is what it would look like Tikki

Troy BattleRail TRX Extreme 15"|Battlerail|Battlerails|Rail Covers|Troy Industries | Free Float Rails

Thanks for the comment Quentin and I think I may just scratch the ST-T2 after what you and Tikki have said... any good quality h's you can think of? And Tikki I think I just need to research it more I definitely like the adaptability of it. It's one of those comps that you will never need another one again because you can constantly adjust what you want out of it. Thanks for giving me more information about it. I am gonna call them and ask about NYS legality just to be sure. Thanks again guys I really appreciate it!