For all you AR Experts - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > For all you AR Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've put down the money to own Noveske and was very happy. The bad thing is it was on a 7.5" "pistol". Pistol ARs are completely useless some to find out and it was quickly sold.

I've waisted so much time and money on useless accessories and ****. Sometimes I look back and just shake my head. If only I had asked questions, did the research, and been more patient I'd be further ahead.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well guys I appreciate all of your input it has been extremely helpful in picking out parts but the build is officially cancelled for the foreseeable future. I told the wife what I was building and she got pissed.. not cause I was building one but because she already bought me a 20" Colt HBAR for Christmas. So I can't really complain. I will prolly just build the upper now and save the 20" for long range. Thanks again for everything though! I will submit pictures the second I get it!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That is reason #1 why I don't let my wife know 100% of what's going on when it comes to firearms.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I am back again for more questions.. The build is back on and I have changed some things from the original parts list. Firstly I decided on the Samson Star R Free Float, really like this one. Decided to go with a Battle Comp 1.0 as the muzzle attachment. Now to the question... I have decided that I want the AR Gold trigger made by American Trigger Corporation. This is a really nice drop in design and this AR will mostly be used for 3 gun matches anyways. So this will replace my RRA LPK with NM trigger. The question I have is now I don't have a LPK chosen. With everything that is included in the AR Gold trigger, would it be easier to order an LPK and just obviously not install anything that the AR Gold has or part out everything that's in an LPK so that I won't have extra trigger parts just lying around. Essentially I just want to know what the best option would be because I am not familiar with all the parts in an LPK so I don't know what the AR Gold eliminates from an LPK. And if I should stick with an LPK any good recommendations that's consistent with the quality of the rest of the gun? Once again thanks for everything!!!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Palmetto State Armory and G and R tactical have LPKs with no fire control group...i think PSA wants $30 or $35 for it....not sure. You might want to look into them.

A complete trigger assembly usually includes that trigger, trigger spring, trigger pin, the hammer, hammer spring, hammer pin, disconnector and disconnector spring. I'm pretty sure a nice trigger like the AR gold will include everything for the fire control group. Have you considered Geissele SD3G and S3G models?

The lower parts kits have everything else in it for your lower reciever such as the pivot pins, dentents, springs, bolt catch, mag release, safte selector etc etc.

Hope this helps you.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just put some rounds down range w/ the SD3G and it is a really clean trigger and fast as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Tikki I will definitely be looking into those LPK's. In regards to the Geissele triggers.. they are extremely nice triggers I have tried a couple on my buddies AR's, however when I got my hands on the AR Gold I fell in love. It just fits my shooting preference the best! I appreciate all the info!!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok back again guys.. Essentially I come back whenever it takes me more than 2 hours of research and my question still hasn't been answered. So this AR build is ever changing again. I have very effectively been continuing to upgrade parts. Right now I am stuck on Barrel Length and BCG's. I essentially started with a Noveske 16" SS barrel, however now I am trying to determine if I should go with the 18" instead. THis rifle is mostly going to be used for 3 gun matches but I also need it to be a multi purpose rifle. So would an 18" be better than the 16"? Next is the BCG. I assumed that the FA BCG's were some of the best you could get and just chose a Novekse because that's what a majority of the build is. However I have read a ton on Nickel Boron finishes, Tin BCG's and Chrome National Match BCG's. Now my opinion on what the best is.. is well skewed. So now what to do.. What do you think is the best bcg out there especially for what I am going to use it for and for what I have in the rest of the rifle. Thanks again guys you are the best!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #19

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would seriously reconsider the KX3 muzzle device. Its heavy and does nothing for compensation or recoil mitigation. Its really heavy. I'd only use it on an sbr or pistol length AR. Most competitors use muzzle breaks, loud, light obnoxious muzzle breaks. The KX3 is completely opposite of that. Check out my past posts as I've reviewed a few devices.

If you are serious about 3g, skip 2 stage triggers and go for a the Geissele SD3G or S3G. They just released different springs too so you can play with different trigger weights.

I can't recommend you going with with 18 over 16, as most people I've talked to usually have both. 18" only giving a slight advantage in muzzle velocity. Do you know what ranges your local matches go to?

BCGs, a standard milspec will suit you just fine. How many rounds a year are you anticipating? Hundreds? Thousands? 10s of thousands? Do you reload? Do you like doing mag dumps? Do you shoot alot of full auto? If you only do a few thousand a year, a standard mil-spec mp/hp parkerized bcg will last you a long long time. If you like to roll around in the sand, shoot full auto or really, don't like cleaning, maybe a chrome, ni-bor, failzero will work for you. I anticipate shooting over 5k this year and I still don't see the need for anything other than a standard bcg. YMMV.

Finally, I see you are looking at top grade components, so money must not be too much of an issue. But as someone like you, who has been interested in the sport the only advice that everyone seems to agree on is, "bring what you got" you can figure out what you need with more experience. Check out what everyone else is useing and then decide if you need that extra gear.

Also I cannot recommend that your first AR be a competition model unless you have a lot of trigger time in other platforms. If you are new to shooting in general, don't go overboard with bling bling. Keep it simple, learn and evolve.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow sorry I forgot to update what I have so far which has changed compared to my original post in this topic:

Upper
Noveske MUR (Modular Upper Receiver) W/Bolt Assist
Noveske Gun Fighter Charging Handle, 5.56mm
Noveske 5.56mm F/A Bolt Carrier Group - Complete
Noveske 16" Recon 5.56mm Barrel with Low profile gas block
Noveske Mid Length Gas Tube
Samson Star R 12' Rail
Battle Comp 1.0

Lower
Noveske Stripped Lower Receiver N2- 5.56MM
Palmetto State Armory LPK w/o fire control group
AR Gold Trigger
PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube, 416 w/ Buffer Plate
Spikes Tacticle ST-T2 buffer
David Tubb Buffer Spring
VLTOR E-Mod Stock
Hogue AR-15/M-16 Rubber Grip