Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > For all you AR Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default For all you AR Experts

Building the first one and I have read tons of threads already but I just wanna make sure that I have everything I need before I start ordering and that there aren't any conflicts with parts that I missed. If you could take a ponder. Thanks!
Upper
Noveske MUR (Modular Upper Receiver) W/Bolt Assist
Noveske Gas Buster Charging Handle, 5.56mm
Noveske 5.56mm F/A Bolt Carrier Group - Complete
Noveske 16" Recon 5.56mm Barrel with Low profile gas block
Noveske Mid Length Gas Tube
Midwest Industries T 12 Rifle 12" Free Float Handguards
Noveske KX3 Flash Suppressor, 1/2-28 for 5.56AR

Lower
Noveske Stripped Lower Receiver - 5.56MM
Rock River Arms Complete Lower Parts Kit with National Match Trigger
PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube, 416 w/ Buffer Plate
Armalite M15 Carbine Buffer
Armalite M15 Carbine Buffer Spring
Magpul ACS™ CARBINE STOCK – MIL-SPEC MODEL
Hogue AR-15/M-16 Rubber Grip

phew what a list I am pretty sure I have everything I need to completely assemble it. If you need details on anything let me know I keep feeling like I am missing something I don't know what though! Thanks guys I really appreciate it!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Your gas tube is midlenght your barrel is 16" most 16" barrels use carbine length tubes.

Not familiar with that upper what advantage is "modular" design giving ya?? All the angles on it looks like it will snag on clothing and gear and brush pretty easy. Looks heavy too.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-19-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The MUR is a VLTOR product from my understanding. They are lightweight and high quality.

The Gas Buster isn't necessary unless you're going to suppress. Look into a BCM Gunfighter CH. The GF won't bind on one side or the other. The design makes for nice even pressure.

From the bottom of my heart PLEASE don't put an MI rail on such a wonderful upper. IMO it's like putting mud tires on a Ferrari. Same thing w/ the KX3. They are made for SBRs. I've owned a Noveske 7.5" Diplomat that came w/ one and they are heavy. On a 16" barrel they'll feel even heavier.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #4

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If this is your first AR build I suggest you buy the complete upper and build the lower.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Curious why you're using the ArmaLite buffer and spring. You already have them? I agree with Cane about buying a complete upper, do you save money building a Noveske part by part over their complete upper?

And since you (rightfully) like Noveske they make a killer lower receiver end plate with QD sling mount. I got a couple a while back from Rainier Arms for $25 each.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Firstly thanks for everything guys. Jon thanks about the gas tube I overlooked that detail. MJ thanks for your input about the CH. I really like the design of the gunfighter as well and will order that one instead. Same with the flash suppressor I just deleted that off my list anyways thanks to NY law. MJ I like how you describe the MI rail do you have a very good quality replacement? One that fits the quality of the rest of the gun? Cane I was in the Marine Corps and pretty much know how to put everything together this is just technically my first build of my own. That and I save a good $400 building the Noveske upper myself rather than ordering it complete. Quentin I am using Armalite only because I have always enjoyed the quality of their products. Something I should know about them or do you suggest a high quality replacement? Thanks again for all your input!

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil, for I am the meanest mother F***** in the valley!....oorah

Old 10-21-2011, 03:56 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Troy Extreme 13" rail @ just over 11oz almost 5oz lighter than the MI rail.

Sampson Evolution roughly the same weight of the Troy Extreme series.

Centurion Arms rails are great as well.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Real quick I have been looking at factory stock platforms and I see almost all of them with 16" barrels have mid length gas tubes. Would I need a mid length with what I have or a carbine length and what's the advantages and disadvantages of both as well? I mean I wanna slap the Samson 12" rail on this. And as long as that's in question what about the buffer and spring.. carbine or regular rifle length thanks again!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My personal opinion is midlength. Midlenght will shoot softer.

W/ a low profile gas block you can have any length tube/rail you want, they have no baring on each other.

For a rifle like you're putting together I'd go w/ a "typical" collapsible set-up and try different buffer weights if you have the chance. Start w/ an H and work up. I've found that a H2 or Spikes T2 work well for me.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #10

Likes Given: 4

I listened to this fantastic advice and went with the middy. I understand carbine length are a little rough. Noveske is nice stuff. I wish I had that kind of dough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
My personal opinion is midlength. Midlenght will shoot softer.

W/ a low profile gas block you can have any length tube/rail you want, they have no baring on each other.

For a rifle like you're putting together I'd go w/ a "typical" collapsible set-up and try different buffer weights if you have the chance. Start w/ an H and work up. I've found that a H2 or Spikes T2 work well for me.