All about AR's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > All about AR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default All about AR's

IM sorta new to the gun game I want to sorta get informed on a decent starter rifle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #2

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Take a look in the AR forum on here lots of great info

Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Starter rifle, why? To me it's a waist of money. You don't nesseccarilly have to spend $1300 on a rifle and $1200 on a red dot and mount but if you go cheap thinking you'll upgrade later you're setting yourself up to spend way more than you need to. Buy quality the first time and you'll be set. My personal recommendation would be to get a Palmetto State hammer forged 16" kit minus lower then order the lower on a seperate ticket.

I have talked in length w/ a guy who purchased a PSA for his wife. He says they are quality as do many others. I would have one if they offered something I didn't already have. If the SS kit ever comes back in stock it'll be a different story.

Optics is another place you don't want to skimp. I have waisted a lot of money trying to get by w/ "just as good" or "good enough". EoTech is a good lower cost RDS.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

This is something you should not buy on an impulse - it's expensive. Start with what is your intended purpose, then it starts to focus your search. Don't get all starry eyed by brand names either - you pay more than you should for most of that anyway.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmanathome View Post
This is something you should not buy on an impulse - it's expensive. Start with what is your intended purpose, then it starts to focus your search. Don't get all starry eyed by brand names either -you pay more than you should for most of that anyway.
Definitely not the norm. If you know what you're looking at you'll see the extra value in what some of these manufacturers are offering. Take BCM for example. You can get a BCM for less than some DPMS, BMs, Stag, and so on.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #6

Okay so im a little thrown off? But i understand the whole getting caught up with name brand I agree to that I've spent hours just looking at magpul and eotech 500 dollar sites.. I'm looking for a slim durable rifle for ranch use I'm not into the whole clinky junky stuff on a ar work purpose not a toy or piece to look at understand?! I like the OD green with black look just a good eotech and durable reciever and im happy?? Is that a good look sorry for my spelling but yeaa give me some tips now that I cleard myself

Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #7

You're looking for what caliber? And are you looking for accurate or just good enough?

Furniture on your rifle - if this is a firearm that is going to get tossed around, then you might want to think about a free float tube - it shrouds the barrel but doesn't make contact with it. It gets hit or dropped, it has no effect on the barrels accuracy. If that's not important, any kind of handguard is acceptable. With either of these you want your front site post on your barrel - not on your handguard.

You sold on Eotech? What kind of range are you looking at? 100, 200, 300? Do you need NVG compatibility (I don't know, do you hog hunt?) Have you used HW sights before? If no, go look at them if you can - they can be an acquired taste. It really comes down to what you're shooting - when you talk about a work rifle, I'm assuming you're using it for game?

Are you going to build or buy?

ANY upper and lower receiver manufacturer will do, seriously. Rock River Arms, DPMS, Palmetto State, Surplus Arms and Ammo, Midway, Cheaper than Dirt. You don't have to spend a bunch of money on a BCM, VLTOR or any of those - do a google search and buy what you want.

Do you want a single stage mil spec trigger? If yes, then get a lower parts kit from any supplier on line (be aware the trigger adds an addl 11% use tax) just bargain hunt. You can spend a little or a whol elot on these depending on what you like. I don't run competitions - I use my primary AR to hunt and use a 2 stage trigger that is nice, but pricey.

Stock and pistol grip - you seem to like Magpul - go for it.

You'll need a gas block, charging handle,complete bolt carrier group (doesn't matter who you get this from, shop around) and bolt ( you want this to match your barrel though), gas tube (find out what length your gas system is - shoot for mid length as it's smoother than carbine), and probably a flash hider vice a compensator - the AR has virtually no kick to it.

Magazines - you can buy the PMAGs, but if it's a work gun, then you probably can't hunt with 20+ rounds, so look for smaller magazines. There is an excellent tutorial on building an AR15 on arfcom