Ak vs Ar
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ak vs Ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Ak vs Ar

I would like to here from as many people possible their pros and cons of each firearm and why the like which one better , because I would like to really know what I'm putting my money into thanks

SmithKid

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #2

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Lots of advantages to either weapon so begin your research and choose the one for you. In fact why not get both, a lot of us here do, myself included. If I could only have one, the AR is more flexible.

You should do a search here, too. There are countless AK vs. AR threads.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

There's a metric crap ton of threads covering this topic.

But if you're going to be shooting people @300 yards like you mentioned in the other thread you may want the AR.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK
There's a metric crap ton of threads covering this topic.

But if you're going to be shooting people @300 yards like you mentioned in the other thread you may want the AR.
Agreed, i'm an AK fan myself but if you're looking to reach out to 300 yds AR is the way to go.
If you search the threads there's an ongoing arguement on this subject. Best advice i can give is try to shoot both and see which one you like better.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've already shot both and my brother owns an Ar and I never really liked it , but if I was going to get an Ak what would be the best one to get for around 500$-600$ range ? And is the WASR-10 the bottom of the barrel of the Ak world ?

Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

WASR 10s are generally considered bottom barrel, there are quite a few crap WASRs out there but if you find a good one they're great rifles. For your budget i'd probably go with a saiga and either convert it or leave as is.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Agree with everyone said. I have both and choose my AR over my AK. AR is more accurate & versatile. Get the Arsenal Saiga, pricey but the best quality out there, IMO.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Will that saiga take an Ak-47 high cap mag ?

Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

U meant hi cap as in 30rounds mag? Yes it will. Brand new in box will only come with 5rounds mag. ;(. I had to buy 3 steel mags from Midway. Dont buy the cheap Tapco mags, i had FTEs. Some people have no probs with Tapco mags, maybe it was just me.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308 View Post
I've already shot both and my brother owns an Ar and I never really liked it , but if I was going to get an Ak what would be the best one to get for around 500$-600$ range ? And is the WASR-10 the bottom of the barrel of the Ak world ?
Then why would you ask?

If you like the AK get one, I like them a lot. I would like to spend more time w/ them but always end up grabbing an AR.

A WASR isn't a bad choice but is generally not regarded as the highest quality. A converted Saiga @ $499 is a great value. Arsenal LV converted Saigas are you're better non collector level AR. They run around $800-$1k. Rifle Dynamics is probably the most well respected builder around. Take a look at their site. It'll give you a better feel from the range of available AKs.