Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ak vs Ar (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ak-vs-ar-65207/)

SmithKid308 05-26-2012 11:02 PM

Ak vs Ar

I would like to here from as many people possible their pros and cons of each firearm and why the like which one better , because I would like to really know what I'm putting my money into thanks

SmithKid

Quentin 05-26-2012 11:06 PM

Lots of advantages to either weapon so begin your research and choose the one for you. In fact why not get both, a lot of us here do, myself included. If I could only have one, the AR is more flexible.

You should do a search here, too. There are countless AK vs. AR threads.

MikeJK 05-26-2012 11:15 PM

There's a metric crap ton of threads covering this topic.

But if you're going to be shooting people @300 yards like you mentioned in the other thread you may want the AR.

PlaysWithZombies 05-26-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK
There's a metric crap ton of threads covering this topic.

But if you're going to be shooting people @300 yards like you mentioned in the other thread you may want the AR.

Agreed, i'm an AK fan myself but if you're looking to reach out to 300 yds AR is the way to go.
If you search the threads there's an ongoing arguement on this subject. Best advice i can give is try to shoot both and see which one you like better.

SmithKid308 05-26-2012 11:23 PM

I've already shot both and my brother owns an Ar and I never really liked it , but if I was going to get an Ak what would be the best one to get for around 500$-600$ range ? And is the WASR-10 the bottom of the barrel of the Ak world ?

PlaysWithZombies 05-26-2012 11:26 PM

WASR 10s are generally considered bottom barrel, there are quite a few crap WASRs out there but if you find a good one they're great rifles. For your budget i'd probably go with a saiga and either convert it or leave as is.

okdonk 05-26-2012 11:30 PM

Agree with everyone said. I have both and choose my AR over my AK. AR is more accurate & versatile. Get the Arsenal Saiga, pricey but the best quality out there, IMO.

SmithKid308 05-26-2012 11:35 PM

Will that saiga take an Ak-47 high cap mag ?

okdonk 05-26-2012 11:40 PM

U meant hi cap as in 30rounds mag? Yes it will. Brand new in box will only come with 5rounds mag. ;(. I had to buy 3 steel mags from Midway. Dont buy the cheap Tapco mags, i had FTEs. Some people have no probs with Tapco mags, maybe it was just me.

MikeJK 05-26-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmithKid308 (Post 815306)
I've already shot both and my brother owns an Ar and I never really liked it , but if I was going to get an Ak what would be the best one to get for around 500$-600$ range ? And is the WASR-10 the bottom of the barrel of the Ak world ?

Then why would you ask?

If you like the AK get one, I like them a lot. I would like to spend more time w/ them but always end up grabbing an AR.

A WASR isn't a bad choice but is generally not regarded as the highest quality. A converted Saiga @ $499 is a great value. Arsenal LV converted Saigas are you're better non collector level AR. They run around $800-$1k. Rifle Dynamics is probably the most well respected builder around. Take a look at their site. It'll give you a better feel from the range of available AKs.