Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Aimpoints straight talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone
The aimpoint T-1/H-1 do come in 2 moa. I have one and love it. Very fast at close range but I have still been able to hit targets at 300 yards. It's extremely light weight with the mount. With it on a middle brightness setting the battery will last 5+ years being on 24/7. I do most of my shooting under 100 yards which is why I chose no magnification.
The micros have such a small viewing window though? Once again why not a PRO?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #12

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Except maybe 7+ years from now.
True, but (IMO) it's not really fair to do an initial comparison based on something so far down the road. I assume at some point, the Aimpoint too will stop working...after all, they aren't magic. Something has to be generating that lil red dot. Not to mention, the Trij can be recharged.

Either way, as you said, they are two VERY different optics, the choice between the two coming down to shooter requirements.

Personally, I would go with an Eotech instead of Aimpoint because they are considerably less expensive. That said, Aimpoint is probably the better unit.

That's strictly my opinion, however.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Except maybe 7+ years from now.
Its 15 years.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124

The micros have such a small viewing window though? Once again why not a PRO?
When shooting up close I don't even notice. You just see the dot and the target. The micro is so small that it doesn't really block much of your view. I have no experience with any other aimpoint so I can't really give a comparison to any other.
I can only comment that it works perfectly for me.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #15

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

For my SHTF gun which is a SBR I have a cheap ATN ultrasight I got from my dad , he has beat it around for 5 yrs or better and passed it on to me and it stays zeroed , no issues , not much that can go wrong with it unless you break the glass , I have a PA micro also but I like the ATN better , you wont be able to pick up a target quicker than with the ATN , there is literally nothing around it that is in the way of blocking view and the glass is big compared to the microdot , its not pretty , its not a high end or high dollar unit , I have left it on for weeks and its still not dead . multiple reticles to choose from and great even in bright light . Im going with one of these ugly ass things on my next build also . Im game for higher end scopes but for cheap non magnified red dots its a perfect fit.
Now mine is a older one so I dont know how the new ones are but for $100 its pretty hard to beat

Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Its 15 years.
That's what I was thinkin', but didn't feel like diggin' out the manual.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #17

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The official halflife is 13 years I believe but after 5-7 year you can see tritium dimming. In 13 years it will be half as bright as a new unit. I am basing this off my handgun nightsights as I usully find myself replacing them every 5-7 years because they get too dim. If the acog lasts longer please correct me.

Lightest weight solution get the aimpoint h1 or t1. Your choice of 2 moa or 4 moa dots. Window dosnt really make too much of a difference as you shoot them with both eyes open. The light mount is the LaRue absolute cowitness or DD lower 1/3 mount.

The PRO is a great unit but like the M4 and M3 they are big and heavy.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
The official halflife is 13 years I believe but after 5-7 year you can see tritium dimming. In 13 years it will be half as bright as a new unit. I am basing this off my handgun nightsights as I usully find myself replacing them every 5-7 years because they get too dim. If the acog lasts longer please correct me.

Lightest weight solution get the aimpoint h1 or t1. Your choice of 2 moa or 4 moa dots. Window dosnt really make too much of a difference as you shoot them with both eyes open. The light mount is the LaRue absolute cowitness or DD lower 1/3 mount.

thats pretty correct. it all depends on when the tritium was made. trijicon lists 15 as thats the average tritium lasts until its no longer visible in a useable way.

i plan on changing my lamp when it hits 12-13ish. even so the fiber optic still works damn well. in very bright light that damn reticle is highly visible

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki

The manual claims a "useful" life of 20 years. The warranty itself is 15 years.

I think your assessment of the half-life is about right.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #20

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Can the tritium be replaced? Anyone know how much?