Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Aimpoints straight talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default Aimpoints straight talk.

Okay, I'm goin to buy an Aimpoint or an ACOG by Trijicon sometime in the next month and need some questions answered. Assuming money's no object what are the advantages of the CompM4 over the Aimpoint T1 or H1? Which would you buy for your SHTF rifle and why? Or the ACOG? What are the real advantages of each? I don't understand how there could be a difference other than weight with the Aimpoints. Could someone enlighten me please?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Okay, I'm goin to buy an Aimpoint or an ACOG by Trijicon sometime in the next month and need some questions answered. Assuming money's no object what are the advantages of the CompM4 over the Aimpoint T1 or H1? Which would you buy for your SHTF rifle and why? Or the ACOG? What are the real advantages of each? I don't understand how there could be a difference other than weight with the Aimpoints. Could someone enlighten me please?
They are different and therefore each has advantages over the other. The ACOG is a 4x magnified optic. The Aimpoint is a red dot sight. With the ACOG you will able to acquire targets at a longer range. The Aimpoint will get you on target faster but can make it more difficult to hit targets at long range depending on your eyesight.

The comp m4 is physically larger but has a 2 moa dot. The Micro H1 and T1 have 4 moa dots. Aimpoint had the H2 at shot show, it has a 2 moa dot. The ACOG has several different etched reticles available. The one I have seen the most is the chevron ^ .

Aimpoints have a battery life that is ridiculously long. You can leave them turned on for a year or more so it's always ready to employ. Which is great when things go bump in the night.

The ACOG is illuminated by ambient light via fiber optic light tube on top of the optic. No batteries required No batteries to fail or replace. ACOG does now offer a battery powered illuminated reticle, but I'm not sure if the battery life is on par with Aimpoint.

If this is a home defense weapon, get the aimpoint. It's not easy to acquire targets at close range with a magnified optic and light conditions may not always favor the ACOG

Determine what you are going to use it for and go from there.

You are about to drop a nice chunk of cash on an optic. I would recommend you try before you buy if that is possible for you.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 05-22-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

If you are thinking long term SHTF optic the CM4 uses a AA battery. So you would be able to charge or scavenge batteries easier. The one disadvantage I found to it was the size. When I installed a magnifier I no longer had room for a BUIS and needed to purchase a low profile one.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5115 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

I chose the acog over aimpoint. Aimpoints are tough which can be subjective. I called in an expert i trust who was a commander of troops for two tours in iraq. His opinion which is valid only to me was he saw more breakage of aimpoints and eotechs than acogs. Since those items got reported to him when his troops broke things i take his word for it.

Advantages to me is the acog uses no batteries and the reticle adjusts automatically to ambient light or lack of it. Aimpoints have to be manually adjusted.

Aimpoints can be left on at lower settings for years but having to fiddle with the rheostat in some light conditions is a negative to me.

Lack of good magnification is a huge minus to me if you do go rds size of the dot has issues. Too small difficult to pick up fast. Too big covers the target at longer ranges making long shots iffy at best.

Acog negatives weight, they weigh a little more but springing for a good mount reduces that. It takes some training to use effectively in a cqb situation. However if the target is really close you dont need sights much anyway. 4x optics on the acog will get you out to 800yds with its functional easy to use rangefinder and bdc in some models.

Mine is the ta31f-g with green chevron and dual illumination. I skipped on the rco cuz they only came in red.

Most people see rds dots as oblongs or blurry due to astigmatism. If you dont have perfect vision aimpoints can be really difficult to get accurate hits at longer ranges.

Even if the tritium poofs on my acog it still works in most lighting conditions. When 2022 roles around im going to have the tritium in mine redone

Since none of these options are cheap i would strongly recomend making an effort to see what your buying in person.

I can tell you my beliefs and experiences with optics but the things i prefer and think are valuable in a gunsight are likely not to match yours

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

While I like the Acogs, the price really kicks up the pucker factor.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #6

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066

They are different and therefore each has advantages over the other. The ACOG is a 4x magnified optic. The Aimpoint is a red dot sight. With the ACOG you will able to acquire targets at a longer range. The Aimpoint will get you on target faster but can make it more difficult to hit targets at long range depending on your eyesight.

The comp m4 is physically larger but has a 2 moa dot. The Micro H1 and T1 have 4 moa dots. Aimpoint had the H2 at shot show, it has a 2 moa dot. The ACOG has several different etched reticles available. The one I have seen the most is the chevron ^ .

Aimpoints have a battery life that is ridiculously long. You can leave them turned on for a year or more so it's always ready to employ. Which is great when things go bump in the night.

The ACOG is illuminated by ambient light via fiber optic light tube on top of the optic. No batteries required No batteries to fail or replace. ACOG does now offer a battery powered illuminated reticle, but I'm not sure if the battery life is on par with Aimpoint.

If this is a home defense weapon, get the aimpoint. It's not easy to acquire targets at close range with a magnified optic and light conditions may not always favor the ACOG

Determine what you are going to use it for and go from there.

You are about to drop a nice chunk of cash on an optic. I would recommend you try before you buy if that is possible for you.

EDUB
The ACOG uses tritium for low or no light situations. During the day, the brighter the ambient light, the brighter the reticle, as it is fed by fiber optic.

There would be no scenario I can imagine where the Aimpoint would outperform the ACOG due to "light conditions".

Last edited by Chandler51; 05-22-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Except maybe 7+ years from now.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Trituim is a finite resource, but the fiber optic portion is indefinite.

Non magnified red dots are faster. Magnified is better at range. Bothe are great optics but you jeed to decide for yourself when one u need.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Trituim is a finite resource, but the fiber optic portion is indefinite.

Non magnified red dots are faster. Magnified is better at range. Bothe are great optics but you jeed to decide for yourself when one u need.
I won't be shooting past 300-350m. Does that help? I'm looking at the PRO by Aimpoint now. For the price it looks hard to beat. I don't see what would warrant an extra $400 almost for a compM4. Do you guys? Any input?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The aimpoint T-1/H-1 do come in 2 moa. I have one and love it. Very fast at close range but I have still been able to hit targets at 300 yards. It's extremely light weight with the mount. With it on a middle brightness setting the battery will last 5+ years being on 24/7. I do most of my shooting under 100 yards which is why I chose no magnification.