aimpoint red dot help..what model to buy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > aimpoint red dot help..what model to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default aimpoint red dot help..what model to buy?

Finally got the money together for a aimpoint to put on my dd m4..got Troy flips down iron on it now...shooting 100 yards on in...good up to 500 ish for the scope..want a aimpoint but need a push towards the best model..just can't make up my mind..Also don't need a Co witness so what's my best option for the mounting....thanks in advance for any suggestions...cory

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

The most popular models are the H1/T1 and the PRO.
The difference between the H1 and the T1 are just the Night Vision compatibility.

I have the T1 and use the full co-witness with American Defense Mount.
https://www.primaryarms.com/American-Defense-Aimpoint-T1-Mount-1-Piece-p/ad-t1-10.htm
There are many mounts out there, it all depends whether you want full or 1/3 co-witness.

Check out G&R Tactical for Aimpoint Bundle deals.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=APOI

For Pro, it is a very good red dot and it also has the Night Vision compatibility feature. Comes with quick detach mount too.
PSA usually has it on sale for less than $400. Indeed, last week it was for $360 after coupon code "PRO".

Anyway you can't go wrong with any Aimpoint models.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the info..is there a major difference between the h1/t1 versus the pro..kinda like the look of the pro...use to shooting my shotgun with a Bushnell reddot on it..so not to sure if I would want 1/3 or full cowitness..what does the majority like...thanks again..

Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm99 View Post
Thanks for the info..is there a major difference between the h1/t1 versus the pro..kinda like the look of the pro...use to shooting my shotgun with a Bushnell reddot on it..so not to sure if I would want 1/3 or full cowitness..what does the majority like...thanks again..
The major differences are the sizes, weights and prices.
There are H1/T1 clones out there like the Vortex Sparc or the Bushnell TRS-25 which i also own both of them. They are great for the price specially the Sparc.
While the clone for the PRO is the Vortex StrikeFire.
FYI, Vortex is releasing the 2nd generations both Sparc and StrikeFire soon. The specs and images are on the Vortex website.
If i were to choose between them, from the most desirable to the least will be.. T1, PRO, Sparc and TRS-25.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I second what he said ^.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

A co witness really should be mandatory.

Go for a T1 H1 is you want something lightweight. It doesn't come with an AR ready mount so factory that into your budget. I like ADM mounts, adn the Knight's Armament mounts. The Fortis mount looks good and lightweight. The lightest mount I've handled is the Daniel Defense but its not a QD mount if that matters to you.

Go for the PRO if you want the cheapest, but high quality option. It comes with a mount so you don't have to worry about buying one.

Go for the M4 if you want to use AA batteries. It also comes with a mount, but costs a bit more than the PRO.

I'd recommend 2 MOA dot over 4, but that's just my personal preference.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #7

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
A co witness really should be mandatory.

Go for a T1 H1 is you want something lightweight. It doesn't come with an AR ready mount so factory that into your budget. I like ADM mounts, adn the Knight's Armament mounts. The Fortis mount looks good and lightweight. The lightest mount I've handled is the Daniel Defense but its not a QD mount if that matters to you.

Go for the PRO if you want the cheapest, but high quality option. It comes with a mount so you don't have to worry about buying one.

Go for the M4 if you want to use AA batteries. It also comes with a mount, but costs a bit more than the PRO.

I'd recommend 2 MOA dot over 4, but that's just my personal preference.
Why do you feel cowitness should be mandatory? Also, which is better, the T1/H1 or the M4? The T1/H1 just looks smaller.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #8

Is there a major quality difference between the t1 and the pro or it just the weight...thanks cory