Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   aimpoint pro or eotech 512? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/aimpoint-pro-eotech-512-a-69154/)

Wi_Hunter556 07-28-2012 04:39 PM

Hey guys..I have a DD and I just bought their ez car rail and installed it...no this week after I get my paycheck I will be ordering an optic. It will be a truck/self defense/shtf rifle...which one should I go with? After I buy that I'm starting a new build

connectegr 07-28-2012 06:02 PM

My vote is for the EOtech. I started with a RDS similar to the Aimpoint. IMHO the EOtech is easier to acquire with both eyes open the circle around the 1 MOA dot give a better perception of the target range and size.

AgentTikki 07-28-2012 06:10 PM

To play devil's advocate, the durability and battery life of an Aimpoint is bare none the best.

I'd honestly take the time to handle both, my eyes do not like the eotech reticle. I'm astigmatic and have had lasik. I love the Eotech reticle but it doesn't work for my eyes.

Wi_Hunter556 07-28-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
To play devil's advocate, the durability and battery life of an Aimpoint is bare none the best.

I'd honestly take the time to handle both, my eyes do not like the eotech reticle. I'm astigmatic and have had lasik. I love the Eotech reticle but it doesn't work for my eyes.

I have an astigmatism also and do wear bifocals, had to get them for night driving. I'm looking at lasik when I'm out of basic and ait and with a unit

I'll have to find the eotech and aimpoint and try them out

drvsafe 07-28-2012 06:24 PM

I've been considering the aimpoint pro and the eotech xps. Plenty to speak of on both counts. For me the PRO has it but it's pricing that is really tipping the scale.

Wi_Hunter556 07-28-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe
I've been considering the aimpoint pro and the eotech xps. Plenty to speak of on both counts. For me the PRO has it but it's pricing that is really tipping the scale.

The same situation for me.

AgentTikki 07-28-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556 (Post 885218)
I have an astigmatism also and do wear bifocals, had to get them for night driving. I'm looking at lasik when I'm out of basic and ait and with a unit

I'll have to find the eotech and aimpoint and try them out

I've found that with my eyes, the "pixelation" of the eotech reticle is super annoying. But my lasik was done over 10 years ago, so I know for a fact that modern methods have reduced the flaring that I experience. My eyes also don't like the Leupold Deltapoint RDS. I believe that any RDS that has an automatic brightness setting and doesn't easily allow for manual adjustments just don't personally work for me.

I would highly recommend you get both sights in your hand and look through them. It might just make your decision easier, like it does for me.

drvsafe 07-28-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki

I've found that with my eyes, the "pixelation" of the eotech reticle is super annoying. But my lasik was done over 10 years ago, so I know for a fact that modern methods have reduced the flaring that I experience. My eyes also don't like the Leupold Deltapoint RDS. I believe that any RDS that has an automatic brightness setting and doesn't easily allow for manual adjustments just don't personally work for me.

I would highly recommend you get both sights in your hand and look through them. It might just make your decision easier, like it does for me.

That LASIK scares the boots off me. I'm astigmatic as well so it may be a moot point.

I agree hands on is the best. My problem is I live no where near any place that's got them both in stock.

drvsafe 07-28-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556

The same situation for me.

I also like the 3 year battery life. Set it and forget it (well...for 3 years at least).

locutus 07-28-2012 11:02 PM

For goodnes sake don't fear the Lasik!:)

My son had it done 10 years ago. It was a simple, painless, procedure, over with in less than 30 minutes, and now he has 20/20 left and 20/15 right.:p