Age to buy stripped lowers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Age to buy stripped lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Age to buy stripped lowers

Hey, i'm wonderin' if you gents in-the-know could answer a question for me. I just assumed that the age to buy a stripped lower was the same age to buy a rifle (18), but I just read this evening on riflegear.com that federal law requires you to be 21 years of age to buy a stripped lower, because it's not technically a rifle?

This could be an inconvience to me, as I have a lower that should be shipping presently, and I am but a wee boy of 19 Help?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #2

AR Lowers are assumed to be a rifle receiver = age 18 to purchase.

IF Marked "Pistol" age would be 21

It's that simple.

IF you bought a rifle receiver and made a pistol when you were under 21, you would have created a problem !

Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Better check that- and there may be a difference between a lower, and a "virgin" lower that has never been made into a rifle OR a pistol- remember something about the ATF treating these as a weapon OTHER than a rifle. Since it can be made into a pistol, the 21 age kicks in. If it has already been made into a rifle, a rifle it stays, and the age is 18.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #4

Ok, thnx guys. The lowers (theres actually two of them) are coming from spikes tactical, and should be marked as rifle lowers. If I were to bring a mate with me who is "of age", and the FFL had a problem with me being 19, could I just have my friend sign for it etc, and then sell it to me for $1 after we left?

-AA

Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggro Australian View Post
Ok, thnx guys. The lowers (theres actually two of them) are coming from spikes tactical, and should be marked as rifle lowers. If I were to bring a mate with me who is "of age", and the FFL had a problem with me being 19, could I just have my friend sign for it etc, and then sell it to me for $1 after we left?

-AA
he could..but legally no

Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:

-AA
That is a text book case of a STRAW PURCHASE, it is illegal, and its a serious offence for you and your "freind" if you were to get caught it would probelly be the end of your gun buying for a while.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As of right now, according to federal law, stripped AR15 lowers are considered the exact same as buying an complete rifle so you ARE legal to buy them.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #8

sorry... double post

Last edited by Lanco Tactical; 03-07-2009 at 05:04 AM. Reason: double post...

Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #9

I realize this post is a few weeks old now but...

No one under 21 can legally purchase a stripped lower receiver. This is the Federal Law... This is coming straight from the ATF (I inquired about this exact situation) and is spelled out on the new 4473 Federal forms as well.

In Section B Question 18

"If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, they still are "firearms" by definition, and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See Section 921(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be made into a long gun, is a "firearm other than a shotgun or rifle," it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21. Also, note that multiple sales forms are not required for frames or receivers of any firearms, or pistol grip firearms, since they are not "pistols or revolvers" under Section 923(g)(3)(a)."

Long story short no stripped receiver can legally be sold by an FFL dealer to anyone under 21. This also means that all receivers must be bought from a FFL dealer in the buyers home state...

Also of interest may be the fact that any virgin stripped lower receiver can legally be made into either a pistol or rifle. It does not have to be marked "pistol" to be made into a pistol. This information also came straight from the ATF. Manufacturers mark receivers with "pistol" on their own accord. They are not required to do this... Once a virgin stripped lower is built into a rifle it can never legally be made back into a pistol without getting a SBR stamp. If a virgin lower is made into a pistol and then later changed over to a rifle it also cannot be made back into a pistol without a SBR stamp.

Crazy I know but these are the rules...

Hope this information is helpful...

~factorypower
Nathan

Nathan Lamb's Firearms
www.nathansfirearms.com

Old 10-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #10

Default Can't do that

Quote:

-AA
That is called a straw sale and you, your friend and the FFL could go to prison for that. A person cannot purchase a firearm for another individual who is not eligible to purchase it him-herself. A FFL who knowingly sell a firearm in that situation is breaking the law.

Federal law states that you have to be twenty one years of age to buy a stripped lower from a FFL. I live in Indiana and a Indiana resident over eighteen and under twentyone can purchase a stripped lower from another non licensed individual who is also a resident of the state. Not sure where you live but check your laws. A stripped lower is considerd a firearm and it could be used to make a pistol which a minor is prohibited to purchase from a licensed firearms dealer.

If you purchase a complete lower with a rifle stock that is considered a rifle, not a pistol. Crazy but that is how it works. I suggest you call the BATF office and ask them but don't get caught involved in a straw purchase.

Vendor www.richards-guns.com