Aftermarket Triggers?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Aftermarket Triggers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Default Aftermarket Triggers?

What type/brand of trigger do you run?

I should get my new DPMS LR260H in this week,and knowing how the factory triggers usually are,I trying to decide on which trigger to install in it.
I run the RRA NM 2 stage in all of my current AR15 platforms.They have always been reliable,but I want to try something different with the LR260H.

I'm looking at these choices-
1. Geissele SSA 2 stage
2. Jard 3lb single stage
3. CMC Tactical 3.5lb single stage
4. CMMG Generation II 2 stage

Does anyone run these triggers,and what are your opinions of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12170

This is one of the best reviews I've read and have the pleasure of sharing with you.

Just a question tho, looks like most of your choices are precision type 3# triggers, wouldn't a SSA-E 3.5# be a more suitable choice? I loved my SSA-E but I like my SDE better (basically the same but with a flat trigger bow).
rsfrid Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12170

This is one of the best reviews I've read and have the pleasure of sharing with you.

Just a question tho, looks like most of your choices are precision type 3# triggers, wouldn't a SSA-E 3.5# be a more suitable choice? I loved my SSA-E but I like my SDE better (basically the same but with a flat trigger bow).
Thanks for the link.That was a well written testing.
The SSA-E is also a choice.I'm leaning towards the CMC unit presently,I've read some good opinions about it from several people.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the Geissele SSA 2 stage on my LMT and I love the thing. Best daggone trigger I ever felt.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I have a CMC in my AR and I just love the way it feels and shoots. By far the very best investment so far.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have the SSA in my carbine and the SDE in my bullseye competition DPMS Panther. Both are good, but really different things.

Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 11-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

Yes, the ssa and ssa-e are a bit differe.t they both use full power springs but the ssa-e I rated about 3.5# as opposed to the ssa's #5.5. Geissele has stated the differences between the two are not in springs but in the hardware, but putting the two side by side, I couldn't see the differences.

Sdc = ssa
Sde = ssa-e
Sd3g=s3g

The sd series sports a flat trigger bow. Everything else I the same as their standard curved trigger bretheren.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 11-07-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never measured my SSA but just going by feel, I never would have thought it is 5.5lbs. It feels lighter than that. Triggers I have had in the past that I knew to be 4.5-6lbs really "felt" it....relatively heavy pull. But if the specs and your spring tension gauge says 5.5lbs.....that's what it is I guess. I reckon it is because the first stage.....which is a very short travel, is quite light with zero staginess through the pull.......very smooth.... and very little effort required to hold it at the end of it's travel...the beginning of the 2nd stage. Then the 2nd stage let off is even lighter.

It is such a nice feeling trigger to me and I kinda see the carrot analogy for the first stage. A nice fresh carrot!!! The break itself is crisp and way more towards the glass side.

Coming off even a reasonably well broken in stock trigger, a new SSA user is going to think the trigger is a dream come true. Super triggers. But were I to guess I would say my SSA is more in the 3.5-4lb range.

All triggers require a great deal of attention to safety and excellent habits like never having your finger inside the trigger guard unless you are ready to take the shot......and using the safety catch properly etc. But in my opinion, the SSA demands even a little more attention to safety-if that is possible, particularly in the case of a beginner shooter.....who in my opinion, should get used to a stock trigger first and develop good safety habits that are second nature and automatic....... before going to a lighter specialized combat trigger like an SSA or other.

I should buy a nice trigger gauge so I can measure mine. Especially since my new rifle, which is supposed to be factory set at 2.5lbs..... has an adjustable trigger.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #9

2 stagers usually feel a lot lighter than they are because of the progressive pull.......the first stage may be 2.5# and the second 2.5# so together its 5#. but it really only feels like 2.5, because the first stage isn't really focused on when shooting. You usually get the second stage before the controlled squeeze.

Conversely, if you pull hard and fast, or slap the trigger it will feel like a single stage 5#. And for the most part, most milspec triggers are over...sometime way over 5.5#. I had a dpms that came up over 9# stock. Gritty as crap too. /shudder.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #10

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Why not go with the best trigger on the market for anything? Jewell.

But, if you do just know that you will soon be switching all your guns to Jewell Triggers.