After Market Muzzle Brakes/Flash Suppressors - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

After Market Muzzle Brakes/Flash Suppressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just throw away my toothbrush I don't even want it back, lol

You're completely correct Quentin. I am guilty of the "works for me it must work for you" attitude from time to time.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #12

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS11 View Post
How many of you change the factory muzzle break on your AR 15? Why? When I bought my Stag from a gun smith shop they sold me on a break they designed and made. He said the factory brake was not to good and was very loud to the shooter.
Well that makes a lot of sense since most ARs come with a A2 flash hider which is NOT a brake. Very few breaks are effective enough and tough enough to make it to Military vendor status. Of the actual brakes out there that do sell to the US government I'm partial to the OpsInc unit. I have it on my .308 and I can watch the holes show up on the target when I shoot. One of the most effetive designs I've played with. Some others are nearly worthless in their capability to reduce recoil and muzzle jump. Some folks assume that if you drill/point holes up and back you are done. Some very careful math and computer design/modeling goes into designing and building brakes that work and that work ain't cheap.

OpsInc unit for the AR is fantastic but a little pricey and it requires a competent gunsmith to install it correctly, no crush washers for that puppy. One of the best brake/flash hider combos out there is made by SureFire but again you are in the higher end of the $$$ spectrum.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #13

Liked 460 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
OMG, does this mean ... it's over?

No argument here, MJ, it's a certainty that fractions of a second can matter in competition and combat so we must make individual choices that matter to us. If you can perceive a difference then there IS a difference. I go at a slower pace than many of you guys so it's not likely I'd notice much. Plus being from a different generation I lean toward plain jane in my firearms. The main thing is that we each outfit our defensive weapons so they work for US not what some guy says on the Internet or in a gun magazine!
Those are some of the truest words ever spoken! Now knock that off

Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1190 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

Thanks, Panda. You can have MJ's toothbrush if you want.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3451 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 372

The stability of the rifle and ability to control what recoil does exist is more dependent on stance than devices. With the proper stance, I can shoot all 30 rds full auto at 15 yards into a half dollar group. Yes, one ragged hole. Learned proper technique from ex-SAS in an MP-5 school.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It wasn't a hard sell for me to change the muzzle brake. I don't remember his exact words but I figured it wasn't that much more money for me to have it installed. I haven't shot high power rifles that much and figured it just might be worth while to have something different. Is it just a way to make my wallet a bit lighter?? Maybe it is. I certainly am no expert. At least I like the results. You guys do have some interesting muzzle brakes.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Stance is nice but unfortunately we can't always shoot standing still with all our weight over the handguard. Sometimes we have to fire around, over, or under cover.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #18

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Why do you feel the need to put a muzzle brake on a 5.56 mm AR? There is no recoil and muzzle jump is easily controllable. Many aftermarket products are primarily intended to reduce the thickness of your wallet.
Good God man! Haven't you ever heard about the cool factor?

My wife says the AR-15 has more accessories than a Barbie doll set. Now my home-crafted AR shoots em up pretty good, but I still look like a dork behind the trigger. I need all the help I can get. :-)