After Market Muzzle Brakes/Flash Suppressors
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > After Market Muzzle Brakes/Flash Suppressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default After Market Muzzle Brakes/Flash Suppressors

How many of you change the factory muzzle break on your AR 15? Why? When I bought my Stag from a gun smith shop they sold me on a break they designed and made. He said the factory brake was not to good and was very loud to the shooter. I won't repeat his exact description. Looking at the stock brake and his brake, I could tell that because of the position of the "holes" that his MIGHT be better so I bought it. I must say that it seems pretty good but I didn't shoot the gun with the stock one so I can't be sure. There does not seem to be much "upward" motion in the barrel when I shoot. I am happy with it.

dscn1105.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #2

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

I use the standard A2 flash hider on both of my ARs since it's a good compromise between a FH and a compensator. I don't buy the dealer's comment that it's not good and is too loud.

I can't comment on the one you pictured or how it would perform. It looks like a standard A2 except that its internal diameter is kept at bore size right up to the muzzle. Can you give us more info on what they said the advantages are? I could see that it might give you a little more fps over the A2.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #3

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

That's the muzzle brake I attached on my gun. It's really awesome. It reduced the recoil while standing by a ton. But it is louder than you could ever possibly imagine. Worth it imo

imag0224.jpg

imag0222.jpg

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 AM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I switched out my birdcage with a smith enterprise VORTEX. It produces no muzzle flash and reduces muzzle jump... Sorry about the photos, my new phone is tweaking out..hahaha the photo of me and my daughter acting silly wasnt supposed to be added

forumrunner_20111012_210959.jpg   forumrunner_20111012_212703.jpg   forumrunner_20111012_212726.jpg  

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 10-13-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 AM   #5

Likes Given: 4

heh.. I've got the std birdcage, but if I had a choice (or ran out of ammo), I want the nastiest, most horrifying eye-popper-outer I can get...thoughts?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

These,

and this.

The top 2 have proven to be great. The BC 1.5s keep the muzzle on target, have good flash killing, and are not all that loud.

The last, a PWS FSC556, works well but does have noticeable concusion and noice.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Why do you feel the need to put a muzzle brake on a 5.56 mm AR? There is no recoil and muzzle jump is easily controllable. Many aftermarket products are primarily intended to reduce the thickness of your wallet.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Why do you feel the need to put a muzzle brake on a 5.56 mm AR? There is no recoil and muzzle jump is easily controllable. Many aftermarket products are primarily intended to reduce the thickness of your wallet.
I have to agree with you 100% Robocop. The A2 functions well both as a muzzle brake and flash hider. And since it's as cheap as it gets I can't see replacing mine.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I have to agree with you 100% Robocop. The A2 functions well both as a muzzle brake and flash hider. And since it's as cheap as it gets I can't see replacing mine.
I dissagree w/ both of you. I know Quentin it's our first. I teared up a little too .

The difference is noticable and the ability to put follow up shots on target through the reduction of muzzle climb.

The proof is in the split times. Every little bit counts.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #10

OMG, does this mean ... it's over?

No argument here, MJ, it's a certainty that fractions of a second can matter in competition and combat so we must make individual choices that matter to us. If you can perceive a difference then there IS a difference. I go at a slower pace than many of you guys so it's not likely I'd notice much. Plus being from a different generation I lean toward plain jane in my firearms. The main thing is that we each outfit our defensive weapons so they work for US not what some guy says on the Internet or in a gun magazine!

______