AE Arms USM4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AE Arms USM4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AE Arms USM4

I am new to the board, so I thought I would throw out a questions regarding KE Arms, more specifically their USM4/ Black/ 14.5. It appears they use high end components, the rifle looks great astatically speaking, but there isn't a lot of information on testing, performance, etc. Are they a new company, what about their $500.00 select fire trigger, customer service, etc. I really like the weapon, may buy one, but wanted some feedback prior to doing so. Looking forward to the responses.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #2

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

While unfamiliar with the specific rifle mentioned I can help in a way.

Because of the firearms act of 1968 a sub-16 inch barrel is qualified as an SBR and will need to be registered as such. The registration includes a $200 tax 'stamp', fingerprinting, generally local LEO blessing and of course the 4-12 month wait depending on how far backed up they may be. Now this could be avoided by going with a 16" barrel or having a muzzle device welded to bring it to 16 inches.

While the SBR route is definitely do-able, most people choose to go with a factory 16"

Now on to that trigger pack, again, unfortunately because of a firearms act (1986) you can no longer register what the ATF calls 'machine guns' or anything that fires more than one round per pull of the trigger. So it's a no go on auto unless you get a pre-86 registered firearm which is running about $16,000 right now or a registered drop in auto sear which was 8-10,000 at last check.

Sorry I can't help with that specific rifle, also drop by the introductions section when you get a chance and tell us a little about yourself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #3

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

What Sputnik is referring to is the National firearms act of 1934 which made SBRs, full autos, suppressors, etc, subject to extra tax and registration as well as outright illegal in some states.

A 14.5" barrel may be legal with the permanent attachment of a muzzle device that makes the barrel at least 16".

The trigger that the website advertises is a "three mode" trigger that states no ATF NFA paperwork is required, which means it has some sort of a bump fire capability that actually requires the trigger to be pulled for each individual shot. Though their video makes it look like almost full auto shooting, this usually ends up not being super reliable.

Don't know much about the company or their product to make a full comment though, so, if anyone else has direct experience I'm sure they'll share.

Except your title line for the post states "AE Arms" vice "KE Arms" as indicated in the text of your actual post.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #4

For your review.
http://www.kearms.com/rifle-select-fire-black-14in

Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

Here is the ATF approval letter for the trigger system:

http://tacfirecon.com/wp-content/uploads/TAC-CON-TM-ATF-Approval-Letter.pdf

Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
While unfamiliar with the specific rifle mentioned I can help in a way.

Because of the firearms act of 1968 a sub-16 inch barrel is qualified as an SBR and will need to be registered as such. The registration includes a $200 tax 'stamp', fingerprinting, generally local LEO blessing and of course the 4-12 month wait depending on how far backed up they may be. Now this could be avoided by going with a 16" barrel or having a muzzle device welded to bring it to 16 inches.

While the SBR route is definitely do-able, most people choose to go with a factory 16"

Now on to that trigger pack, again, unfortunately because of a firearms act (1986) you can no longer register what the ATF calls 'machine guns' or anything that fires more than one round per pull of the trigger. So it's a no go on auto unless you get a pre-86 registered firearm which is running about $16,000 right now or a registered drop in auto sear which was 8-10,000 at last check.

Sorry I can't help with that specific rifle, also drop by the introductions section when you get a chance and tell us a little about yourself.
Just talked with Doug over there, and the OAL is 16"

Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by artieg View Post
Just talked with Doug over there, and the OAL is 16"
as long as it's pinned and welded so that it's permnently attached and has an OAL of 16". a 14.5" barrel with a removeable 2" muzzle brake or compensator isn't legal.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #8

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Seems like a good setup, but grossly overpriced in my opinion. You could easily build a very similar rifle for $1000-$1500 less.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

That trigger's MSRP is about $500 ish. I think you can make a better rifle for $1k less. WITH that trigger. Hell for $2k you can even have an Aimpoint on it.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Seems like a good setup, but grossly overpriced in my opinion. You could easily build a very similar rifle for $1000-$1500 less.
That's what I'm finding out. Thank you for the input!