advise on olympic arms 2003 ar
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > advise on olympic arms 2003 ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default advise on olympic arms 2003 ar

Hey guys. Newbie to this forum and to AR's. I received an Olympic Arms GI AR this weekend. Bought new and never been fired. Im trying to do some homework on this gun before I shoot it.

Any advise? I here Olympic has some good and bad reviews. This one was built in 2003. Do I have a good or bad one? (I know ....wont know till I shoot it)

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #2

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

It's probably a good Oly. How a 2003 compares to other brands is up for debate.

Yeah, clean it then go shoot it. If something look funny, first take it to a gunsmith who knows ARs.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

Ive heard they had some problems and wasnt sure what yrs they were. Doesnt really matter though it was a gift from someone very special to me so I will never sell it. Excited to get the first 100 rounds through it and broke in.

Is it true that I should break it in by cleaning the barrell after each round for the first 24 then after every other round till 50 or so? Its olympics suggestion. Seems little over board to me.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

Liked 1060 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

I also think that break in procedure is overboard. I'd ignore it unless this was an ubermatchtarget1/2MOAbarrel and the manufacturer was adamant. A lot of manuals have paragraphs copy&pasted from other sources. Up to you but 99% chance this is a waste of time for no improvement in accuracy.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I also think that break in procedure is overboard. I'd ignore it unless this was an ubermatchtarget1/2MOAbarrel and the manufacturer was adamant. A lot of manuals have paragraphs copy&pasted from other sources. Up to you but 99% chance this is a waste of time for no improvement in accuracy.
+1 . There was a article from a top target barrel manufacturer I read that was in some old archives on another forum . He stated that if you want to wear your barrel out sooner follow the directions . He said we as barrel manufacturers are in a business of selling you barrels . what the best way to get the customer to purchase another barrel ? Thats right wear it out quicker . I clean my target guns every 100 or so rounds and barrel break in was 10 rds , clean 10 rds clean and that was it . Shoots 1/2MOA just fine even with cheap factory ammo

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #6

Well went out and shot it tonight. Put 17 rounds through it and ran a bore snake through it every time. Shoots really nice. Very accurate from round 40 yrs. Was hitting a bowling pin most everytime. Shoots little high and am using iron sights. Will prob continue the recommend break in till 100 rounds. Was able to find plenty if ammo today 280 rounds. Will get more tomorrow. Also I am using 556 pmc to do the break in.

Had a few that didnt fire but I dont think the bolt was seated.

So far so good.

Im gonna take my time and do plenty of shooting before I decide on all the details and accessories to get.

How hard is it to make it a flat top? Currently has a handle.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Is it a flat top underneath with a carry handle added? (Does it have 2 large round knobs on the left side to remove the handle?) If not, and it is machined into the receiver, then nearly impossible.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 05-14-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #8

Mine appears to be one solid piece

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

buy a flat top upper and swap it all over thats how you fix that problem . PMC uses hard primers , I have had several of the .45 and 9mm rounds along with some .223 that wont go off the first time

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #10

I think the no fires were from not seating the bolt. My wife and I were taking turns shoiting and we were still learning/playing with everything. I didnt notice much if a dent in the case when it didnt fire. Reloaed the same bullet and it fired just fine.

Seems like it has a fair more recoil than my stepdads we were shooting this past sunday. Although we are using 556 and he had 223.

Whats a good butt stock to use to reduce recoil? I like the looks if the mako group stuff. What do u guys recommend? Would like to change butt, pistol, and vertical grip