Advice on an upper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Advice on an upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 451 Times on 251 Posts

Default Advice on an upper

So I am looking to either purchase or put together an upper. I am thinking a 14.5" with the comp welded so I don't have to worry about a stamp. Mid length gas system. The questions I have are.. What twist, and why? Any particular uppers to stay away from? I am also trying to keep it light. It will be going on a stag lower with a ctr stock

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter
So I am looking to either purchase or put together an upper. I am thinking a 14.5" with the comp welded so I don't have to worry about a stamp. Mid length gas system. The questions I have are.. What twist, and why? Any particular uppers to stay away from? I am also trying to keep it light. It will be going on a stag lower with a ctr stock
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/14-5/psa-hammer-forged-mid-length-sqr-premium-14-7-stripped-railed-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I have this one and it is extremely light
image-992345755.jpg  

Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

In a perfect world, there would be an abundance of quality 14.5-16" ML uppers with 1:8 twist barrels. That is the ideal twist in my opinion (shoots almost everything really well), but unfortunately you don't get to live in that perfect world. The vast majority are either 1:9 or 1:7. So you may need to decide which better suits your needs. Either answer can be plenty good.

On the cheap, I think M&A parts inc has some good stuff to offer. Complete barreled uppers (sometimes even 1:8 I think) for like $450 with a decent BCG and CH included.

For a little more, shop around at PSA and BCM. PSA is probably where you'll get the most bang for your buck IMO. That's why they have so much of my money. BCM is a little trendier and offers great products with quick service.

I wouldn't bother with anyone else. There might be other good options, but these three have solid track records and extremely fair prices.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #4

Liked 451 Times on 251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
In a perfect world, there would be an abundance of quality 14.5-16" ML uppers with 1:8 twist barrels. That is the ideal twist in my opinion (shoots almost everything really well), but unfortunately you don't get to live in that perfect world. The vast majority are either 1:9 or 1:7. So you may need to decide which better suits your needs. Either answer can be plenty good.

On the cheap, I think M&A parts inc has some good stuff to offer. Complete barreled uppers (sometimes even 1:8 I think) for like $450 with a decent BCG and CH included.

For a little more, shop around at PSA and BCM. PSA is probably where you'll get the most bang for your buck IMO. That's why they have so much of my money. BCM is a little trendier and offers great products with quick service.

I wouldn't bother with anyone else. There might be other good options, but these three have solid track records and extremely fair prices.
Just went and talked with LGS and I think I am going to go with a stag. 14.5" pined and welded comp, 1:7 chrome lined. $535 ish. With low profile gas block and a quad rail.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:45 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

1x7? Most stags are 1x9.....what kind of comp rail and price?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

ive never understood going 14.5 then tacking on a muzzle device to hit 16" why give up 1.5 inches of barrel if your not going to sbr it??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive never understood going 14.5 then tacking on a muzzle device to hit 16" why give up 1.5 inches of barrel if your not going to sbr it??
My 14.5" BCM build is noticeably lighter and tighter than my 16" DD. Shoots as well or better for me too, BTW. Both are midlengths, both are excellent guns.

The ideal 'do-it-all' AR is probably a 16" ML. No arguments there. That's just sort of the design that does everything well enough. But I do love my 14.5". If I could take only one of my guns to survive the zombie/robot/alien apocalypse, I'm actually liking my $1400 build over my $2000 DD. I value the compactness as well as the weight...just a shade north of 6.5lbs...with a red dot, BCM BCG and ambi CH, and BADlever included.

16" middy is probably the ideal/versatile/vanilla option, but 14.5 can be pretty cool too.

Build one my friend, and I suspect you may become a convert.

BCM 14.5 + Vortex Sparc

DD M4v3 + EoTech XPS 2-0

Old 08-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

i dont like the idea of permanent anything on a part that is supposed to be removable.

ive shot 14.5 sbr rifles and i cant tell the diff tween it and a 16" barrel.

im not saying you shouldnt do it or are dumb for doing it i just dont understand it heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

There is no difference between a 16" barrel and a 14.5" barrel as far as accuracy is concerned. In my professional opinion you should stay away from 14.5" barrels and stick to 16". Of course 10.5" and 7.5" are good to go as well. See the bottom of my signature.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #10

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I have a 14.5 barrel with the welded on flash suppressor. I wished I would of just got the 16 because you can't change out the gas block. To modify or change something on your barrel later on your going to hate that problem