Advice please.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Advice please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Advice please.

I am looking for after market triggers and dont know where to look I want a good trigger, light, and crisp. Also does different bolts make a difference on how my weapon performs it will be a gas driven gun for target shooting mid to long range in 5.56

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out the giselle ssa-e. I would just use the bolt that works reliably.

dfergus8

Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #3

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

I think a Timmy trigger is a great option. I have one in multiple ar's that I own. And when you say mid to long range, what kind of range are you talking about?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

150-250 yds

Old 08-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 482

Check out Rock River Arms' 2 stage trigger, good trigger for target/varmint guns.

Assuming proper headspacing and solid lock up, I don't see how the bolt would make a significant difference in accuracy. But I have been wrong before.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

What do u want to spend on a trigger? There are lots of great choices out there. You need to decide if u want a single or 2 stage trigger

Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I
Don't know the difference in single or 2 stage haha explain please

Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm11chad View Post
I
Don't know the difference in single or 2 stage haha explain please
A single stage trigger is typically what came with the rifle...all the finger press weight builds until it reaches it's break point...about 6-8 lbs. This is fine for 99% of shooters that would not benefit from the feel of a two stage (I know I am going to get flamed for that but it's my opinion) What some do not like is that the break point is reached without any indication or feedback. Again that's fine for average shooters plinking at the range but more experienced or longer range shooters like to have feedback and control so they can sync their breathing, etc with the trigger break.

With a two stage trigger, the first stage is loaded up much like a traditional one stage, the difference is that it reaches a second point in the trigger press before the break. There is a noticable tactile feedback to the shooter and a more predictable final breakpoint.

A good two stage trigger will set you back several hundred $, a good one stage can be had for about half that cost. There are also several vendors that market battle triggers or enhanced single stage triggers that smooth out the grittyness without reducing the pull weight or mass of the trigger or sear.

As for the bolt...different bolts will have little or no effect on accuracy but recoil management, cycling and reliability are key concerns. The lighter or heavier the bolt, the faster or slower it will cycle. Too low a cycle rate and you may see in-battery failure, fail-to-feed, etc. Too high a cycle rate you may get torn casing rims, jams, recoil shock, etc. Keep an eye on your brass...if its falling at your feet there's too little action...if it's landing in the next county there's too much. A neat little pile at 3-4 o'clock, 4-5 feet away should suffice.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-06-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
, I don't see how the bolt would make a significant difference in accuracy. .
it doesnt if its properly headspaced and locks tight in the barrel extension. whats really important is if the reciever shoulder is cut square and the threading is concentric. this is an area that lower end guns often just take a pass on since most folks arent going to put their guns to that sort of shooting. its also why guns like bcm DD etc arent often seen in accuracy roles. milspec doesnt = accuracy in the sense of drilling single holes at very long ranges. you have to build to tighter tolerances with special attention to certain areas.

one of the reasons rra and white oak dominate cmp service rifle matches

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Btw I'd consider 200 yards short range, and 400 yards mid range.

150 to 250 yards is on the shorter range of the spectrum. Pretty crazy huh. That's why rifles are primaries and handgunds are secondary.

Also gas pistons aren't the best choice for pecision work.

Honestly stick with a milspec trigger at first. Get a target trigger later, you may just find the milspec will be suitable for what your needs. If you want for somthing more, upgrading is easier later.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 08-06-2012 at 03:33 AM.