Advice on full float hand guards
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Advice on full float hand guards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Advice on full float hand guards

I'm starting to dress up my DPMS with some furniture. I want a free float guards but have a couple questions. Do I just replace the existing guards with same length or do I float the entire barrell by replacing the front sight and gas block? I m goin to put s light and laser on it. My barrell is 16 in but has a 41/2 in FS so barrell length is 111/2, the existing hand guards are 7in long. I really like the look of the " machine gun look" if that makes any sense to ya. Also does the delta ring come off with the free float? Thanks for suggestions and ideas

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #2

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

In general, yes you'd likely replace the FSB and delta ring but there are lots of options. First question, why do you want to FF? Accuracy can be very good without resorting to floating. I've avoided it myself and been pleased. Some tubes are very light weight though which is another advantage.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

The only reason to go full float is the
Look of the gun compared to just the plain hand guards. I rdon't want to sacrifice any accuracy at all. Really just for looks

Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

First things first.

Find a hand guard or rail that you like and link it. You may or may not have to remove and replace the barrel nut.
If you do, then you might as well replace the FSB. You can get a low profile gas block for fairly cheap ~$50.

If you don't want to buy a new gas block, the cheapest option is to cut down the FSB. You remove the upper portion, (the sight) and leaving the gas block portion intact. Check online for cutting down ar front sight base and you will easily find a bunch of how-to.

I usually try and find a handguard or rail that uses the factory nut and cut down the gas block just because i'm lazy and a pinned gas block is very nice to have, and sometimes a pain to remove (you know who you are BCM).

Troy alpha rails, Samson Evo rails, Rainer Arms rails, Midwest Industries SS gen 2 handguards will all slide over your low profile gas block and attach themselves to a factory barrel nut making install fast and fussy free.