Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Adding a new gas block with set screws...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Adding a new gas block with set screws...

I am adding a new gas block and I was wondering if the ones that use set screws or clamping, which are a better way to go? Also, my barrel is smooth where the set screws would line up, does this mean that I cannot use this style cause my barrel does not have pre drilled dimples? Can you only use a gas block with set screws only if you have those dimples??

Thanks

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I prefer set screws myself. This is for two reasons, 1 if the barrel is dimpled the set screw will keep the gas block in alignment, and 2 the base of the gas block usually has a much lower profile when using the set screw method.

You CAN use the set screw gas block on a barrel without dimples. Make sure you torque the screws really well and use high temp lock tight. It's not that hard to dimple the barrel if you have access to a drill press or preferably a milling machine.

If you are worried about mis alignment with any of the gas blocks there is a pretty simple trick of drilling through the gas block and barrel and hammering in a pin. The gas block should then never lose alignment or move in any way without first removing the pin.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 06-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Drop Zone,

There is no problem with using the set screw versions of the gas block. The Set Screws when torqued will normally put a slight dimples in the Barrel by tightening them. But remember not to over torque due to the fact that the Gas Block is Aluminum and you can strip them out. So tighten them securely as CGS advised and use Blue Loctite thread locker. Send us some pics of your rifle and we may be able to give you a few more hints for installing the Gas Block as far as assuring the gas port is not misaligned.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Drop Zone,

There is no problem with using the set screw versions of the gas block. The Set Screws when torqued will normally put a slight dimples in the Barrel by tightening them. But remember not to over torque due to the fact that the Gas Block is Aluminum and you can strip them out. So tighten them securely as CGS advised and use Blue Loctite thread locker. Send us some pics of your rifle and we may be able to give you a few more hints for installing the Gas Block as far as assuring the gas port is not misaligned.

one note blue and red loctite will disolve at temps easily reached by a AR15 gasblock set screw.

you need to use rocksett. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168884/flexbar-rocksett-high-temperature-thread-locking-compound-2-oz?cm_vc=subv1746260

or smaller application size http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746260/advanced-armament-co-aac-rocksett-high-temperature-thread-locking-compound-single-use-tube

i use rocksett instead of blue or red on almost everything. its shear strength is low enough that hand tools easily loosen it but it has a melting temperature somewhere north of most barrel steel... this means it will not disolve under any heat abuse any firearm i know of can generate and still function but it will keep any fastener from backing out.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...