Adding a laser
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Adding a laser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Adding a laser

What are the practical reasons to add a laser? Are there any?

I already have a red dot scope, with no magnification. I have never used a laser on my handgun, but I am considering it for my AR.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I was watching a guy running a green laser over the better part of a day. We were shooting 80yards and in. The laser seemed to be a detriment for him. Most of the time it mas moving around so much it couldn't be seen on a white steel silhouette. IR lasers are helpful at night but I have no personal experience w/ a visible laser being an enhancement over a RDS on an AR.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

My experience is lasers from miles gear is visible with nvd sights. Draws a line right back to the user. If there is dust or smoke its a giveaway.

From a shooter perspective you spend too much time looking for a dot. An rds or illuminated/nonilluminated xhair scope or acog or eotech are the way to go. Even good ole iron sights are better than a laser.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-18-2012 at 03:31 AM.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Practice pratice practice. Then get urself a cheap $50 laser and see if it makes you any better. Then try and sell that pos or give it away because you will fin out that it make you slower.

I do have a laser, its awesome for dry fire practice. If you flinch it will show you, can't hide it from a laser.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Oh there are lasers that work with nvd's that shoot a visible beam for the shooter or whomever wearing nvd that make it very fast to run and and gun in the dark. But that stuff isnt cheap. Just a good set of nvd runs 2000 or more and is only usuable in certain conditions and close range.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

PEQ's can be very handy. You can call for fire w/ them. Used one to cal/directl fire from a Super Cobra (Marine pilots are GTG). They can be used to alter movements. "HEY YOU! GO OVER THERE!" Oh yeah they can be used to put rounds on target lol.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input. Kinda what I was thinking, but there are a lot of rifle lasers on the market. No laser = more money for ammo.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #8

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectegr View Post
Thanks for the input. Kinda what I was thinking, but there are a lot of rifle lasers on the market. No laser = more money for ammo.
Just cause it's on the market doesn't mean it's worth having. There's enough people who don't ask the questions to keep them in business for decades.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:10 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I love lasers for pistols but for rifles a red-dot-sight is better. Lasers are not much good for over 75 feet or so IMHO.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Don't care for lasers on rifles myself. I have been thinking about getting a set of crimson trace grips for my 1911 though.