Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Adding a laser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/adding-laser-64708/)

connectegr 05-18-2012 03:08 AM

Adding a laser

What are the practical reasons to add a laser? Are there any?

I already have a red dot scope, with no magnification. I have never used a laser on my handgun, but I am considering it for my AR.

MikeJK 05-18-2012 03:15 AM

I was watching a guy running a green laser over the better part of a day. We were shooting 80yards and in. The laser seemed to be a detriment for him. Most of the time it mas moving around so much it couldn't be seen on a white steel silhouette. IR lasers are helpful at night but I have no personal experience w/ a visible laser being an enhancement over a RDS on an AR.

JonM 05-18-2012 03:29 AM

My experience is lasers from miles gear is visible with nvd sights. Draws a line right back to the user. If there is dust or smoke its a giveaway.

From a shooter perspective you spend too much time looking for a dot. An rds or illuminated/nonilluminated xhair scope or acog or eotech are the way to go. Even good ole iron sights are better than a laser.

AgentTikki 05-18-2012 03:38 AM

Practice pratice practice. Then get urself a cheap $50 laser and see if it makes you any better. Then try and sell that pos or give it away because you will fin out that it make you slower.

I do have a laser, its awesome for dry fire practice. If you flinch it will show you, can't hide it from a laser.

JonM 05-18-2012 03:44 AM

Oh there are lasers that work with nvd's that shoot a visible beam for the shooter or whomever wearing nvd that make it very fast to run and and gun in the dark. But that stuff isnt cheap. Just a good set of nvd runs 2000 or more and is only usuable in certain conditions and close range.

MikeJK 05-18-2012 05:15 AM

PEQ's can be very handy. You can call for fire w/ them. Used one to cal/directl fire from a Super Cobra (Marine pilots are GTG). They can be used to alter movements. "HEY YOU! GO OVER THERE!" Oh yeah they can be used to put rounds on target lol.

connectegr 05-18-2012 04:00 PM

Thanks for the input. Kinda what I was thinking, but there are a lot of rifle lasers on the market. No laser = more money for ammo.

BenLuby 05-18-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connectegr (Post 806630)
Thanks for the input. Kinda what I was thinking, but there are a lot of rifle lasers on the market. No laser = more money for ammo.

Just cause it's on the market doesn't mean it's worth having. There's enough people who don't ask the questions to keep them in business for decades.

Redleg 05-19-2012 03:10 AM

I love lasers for pistols but for rifles a red-dot-sight is better. Lasers are not much good for over 75 feet or so IMHO.

PlaysWithZombies 05-19-2012 03:15 AM

Don't care for lasers on rifles myself. I have been thinking about getting a set of crimson trace grips for my 1911 though.