Added Weight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Added Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Added Weight

I have a Bushmaster XM15carbine and I'm thinking about adding a railed handguard. Most likely a non free floating type. I was wondering if those of you who have added them to your rifle have noticed a weight difference? If so, how much of a weight difference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

The added weight of the railed handguard is not noticeable. Its all the gadgets you add to those rails that make the difference .

Old 06-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #3

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

BrassMonkey is correct. When I teach tactical carbine classes, I tell my students to resist the temptation to hang all sorts of gadgets on their AR's. The equipment I suggest is an optic, back-up iron sights, a weapon light, and a quality sling. If your rifle is used for longer range work, then a scope, small bipod, and sling is sufficient. Anything else is just adding weight and distracting from the original design of this rifle being a LIGHTWEIGHT rifle. Just my.02 here.

Donnie

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 06-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Anything else is just adding weight and distracting from the original design of this rifle being a LIGHTWEIGHT rifle. Just my.02 here.
Yup nothing like taking a 6lb rifle and turning it into a 9.5lb rifle. I could go on and on about all the worthless crap people stick on their ARs, but I will save that for another thead. IMO the only things worth putting on a AR are optics, back up irons, a light, and a sling. Forward grip is optional to your taste. I just hold mine by the magwell.

Ok I lied, I will go on a anti "gear queer" rant for a moment . Here are a few things that bug me (if you have any of this stuff please don't take it personal as this is my opinion only).

1.) Rebar cutters..............for god sakes what the hell does one need a rebar cutter on their rifle for .

2.) 37mm Flare launchers .

3.) That window breaking thingy.

4.) Low profile gas blocks with rails for mounting front sights. For those of you that want to buy a $40 low pro rail equiped gas block, and a $80 front sight. This allows you to replace the sight that came with the rifle, and did the same damn thing .

5.) The attachment that lets you hang a Glock from your lower rail. Now you too can hang a gun on your gun.

Theres more, but that should suffice for now.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+1 Brass Monkey!!! (I'm not a big fan of verticle grips either, but they're fine if you like them)

Donnie

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 08-05-2007, 02:08 AM   #6

I haven't seen the gadget for hanging the Glock under your AR, but where do I get a bracket/holster/clip for hanging a gun, on the gun, attached to my rifle?

You can put me down for keeping 'Crap' off a very well designed rifle...
X3.

I even teach keeping the Picatinny rails, bayo lugs, light mounts, ect. to a minimum, even they get hung up and catch on obstacles.

I'm pretty hard on the 'Mall Sniper' & 'Tacti-Cool' jokers when they show up with bottle openers, back scratchers & 74 strap slings sticking out everywhere...

I had no idea that 'Victorinox was making a 'Swiss Army Rifle'....
Go to the mall and just had to 'Accessorize Something'?...
Is that a rifle sling, or a hammock, or are you into gay bondage?...

Cops are the all time worst though!
They have some really STRANGE ideas about what is 'Needed' on an assault or breach rifle...
Sometimes I wonder if there is some kind of 'Discretionary Budget' I don't know about that if they don't use will be left out of next years budget, or if some of this stuff comes in 'Krispy Kreme' boxes when they buy an entire dozen donuts...

I think I just had a million dollar idea from this subject!
Naked lady mud flaps for your AR!
Instead of chrome, we can paint them black and make the woman cut out camo and charge extra because they are 'Tactical'!
What do you think?

Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
......3.) That window breaking thingy.......
Yeah, what's the deal with that? I thought EVERY gun barrel can break glass. Glass is pretty fragile (compared to 16-20" hollow steel bars).