Adams gas piston upper.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Adams gas piston upper.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Default Adams gas piston upper.

Not looking for an argument between piston and DI. Just want to know how the Adams uppers are doing for the people that have them. I have a DI and a Mini 14 which is gas piston. To be honest I like the Mini better but then I am old and old fashioned.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2014, 02:40 AM   #2

Liked 434 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

Well not sure I am the soure you are looking for.. But I owned an adams arms piston in 5.45mm.
Sold it unfired, but I could tell, it was obviously a well made piece.

Like the meloniting on barrel and piston parts too.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #3

Liked 1322 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I had a Huldra upper I purchased from Mills Fleet Farm. Adams makes the Huldra for M. F. F. Said upper was ok, but required an extra fat handguard if using a two traditional. Magpul handguard would fit, but a PITA to install and remove.

Sold it in early 2013 on the tail end of the panic and got my money back, it helped me acquire a very nice, gently used, Browning Citori Feather Lightning 20 ga.

Just don't pay more for a piston than a nice DI upper would cost you, pistons are not worth extra.

That is my $0.02' YMMV.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #4

Liked 664 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 976

I have owned both over the years. The Adams kits have a good track record and are reliable. The machining is top notch and the finish is good. that said I'll never own another. I really don't like what they do to gun balance.....

Definitely a solution looking for a problem that's not there....:what:

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Haven't owned one, but I have fired one. I didn't shoot it underwater or anything, but it shot steel ammo, so that is a good thing in my book. A couple of issues: there are lighter weight piston systems out there if you are considering a conversion. That, and if you have a pinned in FSB, you have to remove it to replace with AA's gas block. If you are starting with a stripped barrel, assembly shouldn't be too difficult. If you are considering building an upper with the Adams Arms kit, the cost difference should be less than a conversion as you are not having to replace as many parts.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was actually thinking of just getting an upper for a lower I have that is waiting to be assembled. I have been looking around and piston upper are running $600+ I ran into a complete Adams rifle blem for $620 but have also been looking at other systems. The Black Rifle system looks interesting too and would be in about the same price range. Also considering 7.62x39. I had an AK and dont care for them but do like the round.
http://www.blackriflearms.com/

Old 06-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #7

Liked 293 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I was actually thinking of just getting an upper for a lower I have that is waiting to be assembled. I have been looking around and piston upper are running $600+ I ran into a complete Adams rifle blem for $620 but have also been looking at other systems. The Black Rifle system looks interesting too and would be in about the same price range. Also considering 7.62x39. I had an AK and dont care for them but do like the round.
http://www.blackriflearms.com/
Once you get which caliber you want figgered out, I suggest going with the Adams Arms. They have been around a while, and more handguards will fit around them than other piston systems, and may or may not fit someone elses design.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I own an adams arms 14.5 mid upper at first it had problems cycling rounds so I sent it back they said it cycled fine for them and when I got it back it ran flawlessly no matter what kind of ammo I feed her

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think I would be better off with 5.56x45. I looked at the 7.62x39 upper. It would require special mags and would run a almost $800. I could get a VZ58/2008 with 5 mags for $500. Mags for the VZ run about $15. A new Mini 30 would be $710. That VZ is looking better all the time. Bud's had some Adams 5.56 blem carbines for $610 which is cheaper than the upper alone. They are out of stock but anticipated getting more. I am not in a rush for it so I may just wait until a Black Friday type deal comes up.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3691 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

JTJ,

I will just keep this simple! There are no better piston systems than the Adams Arms system. Have had one for several years and it is fantastic! And of great quality!
Mine is in 5.56/223.

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy