Active duty military wanting to purchase AR in Connecticut - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Active duty military wanting to purchase AR in Connecticut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8691 Times on 3764 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

Jfuller nailed it. If the lower still requires machining, it is not yet a firearm. It is merely a chunk of aluminum. However, when it is machined, and ready to have sear, springs, hammer, trigger, etc installed, it is now a firearm.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #12

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RavenRider View Post
... I'm looking to spend top a decent amount and looking for mil-spec. I've heard great things about BCM so I was looking in that direction. I read an article today that was a little dated but states that CT does not allow collapsible stock, flash hider, threaded barrel, or bayonet lug...
BCM would be a great choice for milspec but I guess they don't ship uppers to CT either?

As far as the upper, the bayonet lug can be filed off so no big deal. I wonder if the flash hider can be pinned and welded permanently on a threaded barrel as other states allow? If all that would be legal, then you could get a BCM upper sent to a friend, altered there, then he could ship to you, since it's NOT the "firearm".

You'd have to come up with a CT legal lower, locally would be best as they'd know what's legal. (I'm assuming CT legal is the same as federal legal other than the stock since nothing else you mentioned applied to the lower.) As far as a collapsible stock, maybe you could get the stock of your choice, set it to the proper length then permanently pin it? (Just a thought and I don't know if that's CT legal.)

Magazines are 10 rounds? Or 15 like NJ?

Anyway, a BCM upper on a quality milspec lower of another brand can be just as reliable as BCM on BCM. A shame you have to go through all this because of a stupid state law.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 10-31-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

You should check the laws carefully because I thought it states that you can't have any two of the items you mentioned meaning you can have one of them. Quentin made some good suggestions and I was going to say almost the same thing. If you pin a muzzle break (not a flash hider), that should take care of the threaded barrel and flash hider. If your upper comes with an FSB with bayonet lug, either chop it off or get a lo-pro gas block. That should allow you to use a collapsable stock if you want. I may be wrong but check the laws to see if that may be an option for you.

Sorry you have to deal with so many state bull**** laws!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #14

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

There was a gun shop out near Four Corners when I was stationed there. Kind of an expensive and depressing place to a gun fan, but the owner knows the laws pretty well.

Pretty sure stripped bushmaster lowers were allowed. Then you can build your AR to CT specs. No collapsible stock. No flash hider. No bayonet lug. Permanently attached muzzle breaks are allowed as long as they don't have flash suppressing properties.

Them talk to your Detailer as soon as you get in your window about transferring to VA, GA, or WA,where there are subs and no active AWB restrictions on your AR. Then you can have fun restoring it.

You also may be restricted to pre- ban mags as well but I'm not sure anymore. I've tried to wipe away as much if my Groton memory as I can.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #15

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Oh, and. Welcome aboard.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Reading this thread has me wondering... what states are the restrictions the least? Is there a list somewhere - I know the specific laws in each state may change a bit so it could be difficult to keep up on all the changes nationwide. Just wondering. I am in Tenn. and my plan is to start building one this coming springtime...once the cashflow improves...

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #17

Last I heard Tenn doesn't add restrictions over federal law. But again it's up to you to check.

Earlier I said pin/weld a flash hider but meant CT legal muzzle device as ZeusEcho and SSGN_Doc said...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quentin - thx for reply - I figured as much - just was thinking about what states have the most freedom for us 2A folks. Not sure how long I will reside in TN as there are other places I'd like to spend some time in as well - mostly out West (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, etc). I like the wide open spaces...and LESS people around.

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #19

Well you should be in good shape out west except for the blue states on the coast, CA especially. Don't forget municipal laws though.

The ban states generally are CA, NY, NJ, CT, MA and IL (Cook County).
And maybe Delaware and Maryland?
Hopefully no more.

______

Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

yeah, not interested in any of the NE states, except maybe Maine or NH...I grew up in MA. And as far as the Left Coast...no thanks!!