Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Active duty military wanting to purchase AR in Connecticut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Active duty military wanting to purchase AR in Connecticut

I'm stationed in Groton, CT and not sure of the laws and regulations here. I wanted to buy a lower from BCM but they won't ship to Connecticut. What are my options?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

Well if you're going to build, you have to know your local/state laws. If it's difficult then buying a complete AR off the shelf locally should keep you legal.

Hopefully someone will come along soon who knows CT law but don't trust what anyone here says, YOU have to be certain of your local laws if you build. What kind of AR do you want, M4 clone? And what's your budget? If you're going under $800 then the S&W M&P-15 Sport or maybe a PSA would be the way to go. I guess BCM also won't ship uppers to CT? I have a BCM upper on a lower I built up from a stripped receiver and it's a fine rifle. Also have PSA and Daniel Defense uppers and can say PSA is excellent. I think you'd be very happy if you can find a CT compliant model. I'd look at 16" LW midlength uppers over M4.

And thank you for your service! Also I hope you and yours got through Sandy all right!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. My family and I faired well through Sandy. I'm looking to spend top a decent amount and looking for mil-spec. I've heard great things about BCM so I was looking in that direction. I read an article today that was a little dated but states that CT does not allow collapsible stock, flash hider, threaded barrel, or bayonet lug. That really puts a damper on the look of the rifle. Any idea if I can order the lower I want and have it shipped to a buddy's local dealer then have him ship it to me?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm not in CT, but the lower is not a "firearm" to the BATF, so you could try the shipping swap, BUT i would wait for some local input first. You might be OK federally but end up screwed locally.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

Sorry, 'Gello, but a complete lower IS a firearm. It is not a rifle, it is an "other"- but is IS a firearm. A less than 90% completed is not.

You cannot have a buddy buy, and ship to a dealer in your duty state if the state will not permit possession. The dealer cannot transfer it to you.

And your buddy cannot ship it directly to you- that is a transfer across a state line by a non-dealer. Get caught doing that and your service career just ended, since you will be a convicted felon in confinement. Federal law. Bad ju-ju. Get caught in possession, two years in STATE prison.

Here is a link to the CT law. It APPEARS you CAN gave an AR, so long as it does NOT have two or more of the evil features. May not be what you want to hear, but would suggest waiting- eventually you will PCS to somewhere else.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-30-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My bad! I confused the upper & lower.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

C3- a stripped lower is less than 90% completed right? If that's not considered a firearm why is an FFL required for transfer?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1098 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 626

check out stag.. they have reasonable prices and are compliant to all the ban states(NY,CT,MA,CA). stag rifles are of great quality and the customr service and warrenty are top notch. if your set on buildign one, stop at the LGS. look to see if they have stripped lowers and maybe ask them how yo could transfer one. if they have none you like.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1098 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEcho View Post
C3- a stripped lower is less than 90% completed right? If that's not considered a firearm why is an FFL required for transfer?
there are some stripped lowers that are only 80% machined and require final touches. i believe he was refering to these. the completely finished, stripped lower is the actual firearm and thus requires the FFL transfer.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1

there are some stripped lowers that are only 80% machined and require final touches. i believe he was refering to these. the completely finished, stripped lower is the actual firearm and thus requires the FFL transfer.
Oh got it, I just saw some of them on the Quentin website yesterday. Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ