Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Active duty military wanting to purchase AR in Connecticut (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/active-duty-military-wanting-purchase-ar-connecticut-75345/)

05RavenRider 10-30-2012 05:56 PM

Active duty military wanting to purchase AR in Connecticut

I'm stationed in Groton, CT and not sure of the laws and regulations here. I wanted to buy a lower from BCM but they won't ship to Connecticut. What are my options?

Quentin 10-30-2012 08:02 PM

Well if you're going to build, you have to know your local/state laws. If it's difficult then buying a complete AR off the shelf locally should keep you legal.

Hopefully someone will come along soon who knows CT law but don't trust what anyone here says, YOU have to be certain of your local laws if you build. What kind of AR do you want, M4 clone? And what's your budget? If you're going under $800 then the S&W M&P-15 Sport or maybe a PSA would be the way to go. I guess BCM also won't ship uppers to CT? I have a BCM upper on a lower I built up from a stripped receiver and it's a fine rifle. Also have PSA and Daniel Defense uppers and can say PSA is excellent. I think you'd be very happy if you can find a CT compliant model. I'd look at 16" LW midlength uppers over M4.

And thank you for your service! Also I hope you and yours got through Sandy all right!

05RavenRider 10-30-2012 10:05 PM

Thanks for the response. My family and I faired well through Sandy. I'm looking to spend top a decent amount and looking for mil-spec. I've heard great things about BCM so I was looking in that direction. I read an article today that was a little dated but states that CT does not allow collapsible stock, flash hider, threaded barrel, or bayonet lug. That really puts a damper on the look of the rifle. Any idea if I can order the lower I want and have it shipped to a buddy's local dealer then have him ship it to me?

orangello 10-30-2012 10:45 PM

I'm not in CT, but the lower is not a "firearm" to the BATF, so you could try the shipping swap, BUT i would wait for some local input first. You might be OK federally but end up screwed locally.

c3shooter 10-30-2012 10:53 PM

Sorry, 'Gello, but a complete lower IS a firearm. It is not a rifle, it is an "other"- but is IS a firearm. A less than 90% completed is not.

You cannot have a buddy buy, and ship to a dealer in your duty state if the state will not permit possession. The dealer cannot transfer it to you.

And your buddy cannot ship it directly to you- that is a transfer across a state line by a non-dealer. Get caught doing that and your service career just ended, since you will be a convicted felon in confinement. Federal law. Bad ju-ju. Get caught in possession, two years in STATE prison.

Here is a link to the CT law. It APPEARS you CAN gave an AR, so long as it does NOT have two or more of the evil features. May not be what you want to hear, but would suggest waiting- eventually you will PCS to somewhere else.

orangello 10-30-2012 11:00 PM

My bad! I confused the upper & lower.

ZeusEcho 10-30-2012 11:02 PM

C3- a stripped lower is less than 90% completed right? If that's not considered a firearm why is an FFL required for transfer?

jjfuller1 10-30-2012 11:04 PM

check out stag.. they have reasonable prices and are compliant to all the ban states(NY,CT,MA,CA). stag rifles are of great quality and the customr service and warrenty are top notch. if your set on buildign one, stop at the LGS. look to see if they have stripped lowers and maybe ask them how yo could transfer one. if they have none you like.

jjfuller1 10-30-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeusEcho (Post 995989)
C3- a stripped lower is less than 90% completed right? If that's not considered a firearm why is an FFL required for transfer?

there are some stripped lowers that are only 80% machined and require final touches. i believe he was refering to these. the completely finished, stripped lower is the actual firearm and thus requires the FFL transfer.

ZeusEcho 10-30-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1

there are some stripped lowers that are only 80% machined and require final touches. i believe he was refering to these. the completely finished, stripped lower is the actual firearm and thus requires the FFL transfer.

Oh got it, I just saw some of them on the Quentin website yesterday. Thanks