Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ACOG vs EOTech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default ACOG vs EOTech

You don't find me in the rifle area much - mainly as I know spit about rifles. About a year ago I picked up a very nice Rock River AR carbine just to have one. When I asked my rifle buddies about optics - they all said ACOG. Since most of my rifle buddies are soldiers (that have used them in combat) I figured they knew their stuff so I found an ACOG at a good price.

While I was in Hawaii (for my son's surgery) I picked up an EOTech 512.A65 for cheap and I was wondering how they compare. I'm not a long distance shooter and I use my AR (not often enough) for plinking at 100 yards or less. I've never even installed the EOTech so I'm just wondering about the merits of each as I'll probably sell one of them. So - which would y'all prefer for 100 yard (and less) plinking?

img_ar-x.jpg  

Last edited by NGIB; 04-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recommend the EOTech for you, I want to buy your ACOG!!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Does your ACOG co-witness with your front sight?

Personally I run the EoTech and I love it. The heads up, both eyes open, full field of view style of shooting is perfect for me when I change targets or move and shoot ( which is NO WHERE near as often as I should practice so my sum total of experience level would be rated Less Than Zero ).

I have only shot an ACOG twice. Both times it worked great and there is nothing wrong with it. I don't know about battery life.

With the EoTech, I do change batteries fairly regularly, but it's my primary SHTF the weapon, so I keep it ready to go and changing batteries whether they work on not is part of my normal maintenance on it.

Personally, I like that the glass on the EoTech can be compromised ( cracked, broken, covered in mud or blood ) and the reticle still works. That is a feature that I appreciate.

I think it comes down to personal preference. If you like one, and can hit what you are aiming at, run with it.

JD

Old 04-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #4

No batteries in an ACOG as it's a tritium gizmo (it's a TA01NSN model). As far as co-witness, I have no idea as the front sight isn't even visible. I shoot handguns probably 50 times more often than long guns so I'm actually thinking the EOTech may be better for the casual type of shooting I do. Actually, the only reason(s) I have an AR at all is a) I'm a man and a man should have one, and b) we all know the zombies will come someday.

Just looking for opinions from folks that know a lot more than me about the subject...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-21-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is something that I did not know. That is a big plus one for ACOG then, at least for the first dozen years.

The Tritium stuff is great, until it fades and wears out. I would imagine that they can get you new inserts then instead of junking the whole unit?

I like the EoTech because of the field of view, but it's for shooting man sized targets out to about 300 ( for me personally ). It's not for shooting dimes or trying to get the tightest possible group.

When I pull that stick out, for real, I am going to be using it for large targets outside the wire.

I'd sell that ACOG to Lon at a tidy sum, sell the EoTech on line and then get a brand new ACOG that is NV compatible.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

I'd sell that ACOG to Lon at a tidy sum, sell the EoTech on line and then get a brand new ACOG that is NV compatible.
A tidy sum for me or a tidy sum for Dave? That's the operative word here!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That is something that I did not know. That is a big plus one for ACOG then, at least for the first dozen years.

The Tritium stuff is great, until it fades and wears out. I would imagine that they can get you new inserts then instead of junking the whole unit?
From what I understand, Trijicon will do it cheap when necessary. I think I agree with you JD as I will never be a long distance tiny group shooter. I'm not a hunter and the AR is a plinker and SHTF gun for me. Perhaps I'll sell it to Lon at a greatly inflated price and use the proceeds to feed my handguns...

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #8

Hey, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, in spite of some of the crazy $hit I've done in here!

If you decide to sell it, let me know the specs, type of reticle, and if you might have a mount included?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Hey, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, in spite of some of the crazy $hit I've done in here!

If you decide to sell it, let me know the specs, type of reticle, and if you might have a mount included?
Lon, I don't know if I'll part with it yet but the model # is a TA01NSN, 4x32, yellow tritium reticle. It's sitting on the factory mount right now and that would come with it. This one has a few scratches on the outside as it has been in combat in the desert, the glass is perfect though...

Old 04-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #10

Cool....if you decide to, no problem otherwise.