ACOG sight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ACOG sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ACOG sight

Hey guys new to the forum and ar world i have got my first ar and have been looking at the acog sights and was wondering if it was ok to buy the cheap knockoffs vs the trijicon which seems to be the main one any info and or advice would be appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Nope. You get what you pay for. Either drop the $1200 on the real thing or find something else.
I'll leave it to the others to suggest options.
Welcome to FTF.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Depends on why you want a Trijicon. Have you tried one? What is it about a Trijicon that you like?

Trijicon has a tritium vial that provides illumination along with a fiber optic to brighten the reticle for day use.

They use a prism system to help with light transmission and for keeping the scope compact in size.

Most knock-offs will not be as bright or as clear in optical quality, the reticle will be illuminated with a battery and probably use a LED which will make a red dot, instead of a triangle, a donut, or a drop compensation reticle. So, in reality they only look like a ACOG on teh outside, and usually share none of the features that make an ACOG an ACOG.

It's the only way you go from a optic that costs well north of $700 and get something that looks kind of similar for less than $100.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #4

my main thought process was i wanted something where i could shoot a little range but also could have quick accqusition for close range quickly which was why the acog with red dot mount on top attracted me i was also thinking of a red dot with magnifier

Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

For a few hundred cheaper you can get an eotech with a fts magnifier (leapers for example) or for even less you could go with a more standard 4x scope and offset irons or something to that effect.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

I have a 5 inch pattern at 100 yards with my eotech alone. Not sniper quality but I don't think I'll be taking longer shots with a carbine. There is also the idea of a mid range scope with a red dot on 45 degree mount.

I've been tossing the idea of a magnifier around but don't want to settle for any less than matching eotech. You do get what you pay for.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

The acog is a wonderful battle optic. Its clomes are a complete waste of money. A good decent 1-4x scope will swrve most needs just fine. Nikon makes a great 1-4 in the monarch and african monarch series.

Ive got got a monarch an african monarch and a acog all are very good optics that serve different rifles in my collection.

If you want trijicon glass and capabilities of a more traditional scope try the trijicon accupoints. Those are fantastic scopes

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You'll get many different suggestions on approaching your predicament. I'll give you mine, take it for whatever you think it's worth...

For the most part, you get what you pay for. There are (relatively speaking) very good $150-300 optics. Vortex, Lucid, and often Primary Arms get good reviews in that category. I own $150 Vortex Strikefires and honestly like them darn near as much as my $500 Eotech. And the $300-600 optics are pretty excellent too (Aimpoint and Eotech rule this range). And then you've got the $600+ category. I don't know these optics well, but I've no doubt they're really good. How good, considering their cost, will directly relate to your own skills, budget, and demands.

I do suspect that in many cases my own skill often doesn't justify spending extreme amounts, nor does my budget.

Something being roughly 10% better or more finite often only matters if you actually possess the skill to get that level of performance out of it. And in truth, I'm probably not that good. And that has as much to do with my buying decisions as does my budget. ((Analogy time)) I played soccer in college and a little beyond. You can get a decent soccer ball for $40, or a really great one for $100. I can get the extra performance out of that $100 ball and easily recognize the difference between the two, so that's what I buy. Many people I've played with could care less whether it was a $20 ball or a $150 ball. Same to them, as long as it was decent enough and true. And that's sort of where I am with regard to my own shooting talent/skill. "Good enough" allows me to reach my current potential. Hopefully I'll become good enough to warrant more someday.

Basically, just ask yourself this: What is the price difference, and how much will you actually gain by paying it? The answer will be different for everyone.

Last edited by sweeper22; 06-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.
truevil1313 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #9

you guys give some great advice and seem really forthcoming with info. I have actually been looking into some vortex red dots with magnifier setup possibly. also tactical for less has a red dot setup with magnifier that looks good but hard to find reviews on but due to some comments i have heard i think maybe not going so expensive will be just fine for the shooting that i do and "zombie defense"

Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

vortex is the best budget optic in that sub 200 category out there. all those things are made in china in that price range including the vortex but vortex is the only one that stands behind their product 100% no time limit no monkey business. if it breaks send it to vortex they fix it or send you a new one. the other low end dot sights your screwed after 90 days.

when you buy vortex your getting a product that is backed up 100% no bullsht by the company. doesnt matter where you got it. doesnt matter if you bought it used in a flea market or got it from good ole uncle sal when it fell off the back of a turnip truck in nooyark or not.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...