Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   ACOG for a 16" LR-308? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/acog-16-lr-308-a-92153/)

truevil1313 06-11-2013 09:23 PM

ACOG for a 16" LR-308?

I recently purchased the DPMS LR-308, that has a 16" barrel. I was thinking of ordering the ACOG 4x32 with the 308 reticle. It says it is good out to 800m. My home range only goes out to 575 yards. What do you guys think? Should I go with the ACOG, or a more traditional scope?

Sniper03 06-12-2013 12:58 AM

Personally I would prefer an optic/scope with more power (Adjustable like a 3.5 X10 or other) over a straight 4X. And especially with shooting longer distances. I have a Rock River LAR-8 308 in the 16" barrel with a Leupold VXIII 3.5X10 Illuminated Reticle Model 54912 on it. Love It! I have also hunted with it in Texas and shot prairie dogs at 400 yards with it along with Deer, Pigs and Coyotes. The 3.5 gives you a wide field of view for closer shots or thick areas and the 10 gives you good sharp vision at longer ranges. It is a 30MM Scope Tube also which I prefer immensely over the 1" scope tubes. So much more light and clarity. Also better in dimmer light conditions.

jjfuller1 06-12-2013 03:45 AM

I love acogs. But when they say there good at 800m it means you will probly hit a truck or wall. A regular scope will be far more accurate at longer distances. But acogs do rock my socks off.

Garadex 06-12-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truevil1313 (Post 1273732)
My home range only goes out to 575 yards.

You say that like it's a bad thing, some of us can't shoot at our home sadly.

truevil1313 06-12-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garadex (Post 1274022)
You say that like it's a bad thing, some of us can't shoot at our home sadly.

No, it's not a bad thing, I was just trying to give you guys a realistic max distance I could attempt to shoot.
I know some of us on here like to think they are super snipers and think we should be able to hit a grapefruit at 1,000 yards. For me this is just not realistic. Hell so far the longest shots I have taken are 450 yards, with my bolt gun chambered in 7 mag. Most of the time we just play around at 100-200 yards.
I was just looking for a simple combination that would fit the need of being able to hit a man size target anywhere from 10 yards to 500 yards.

JonM 06-12-2013 01:26 PM

Acogs are fantastic battle optics. They arent for hunting in the slightest. They are designed to allow easier hits on a 18" by 18" target out to 600-800m depending on reticle.

I have a acog on my bcm ar15 i would like one on my scar17 just like your looking at. The issue i have is i use my scar17 for more than ohsht so i want a little more versatility.

If ohsht happens i could drop the acog on my scar zero for 200 and be good for quite a distance for rapid target engagement. But i bought a trijicon accupoint instead for it which gives me almost all the capabilities of the acog but more versatility and allows me to take full advantage of the 308 cartridge in its gp role.

The 4x32 acog on a 308 is a little too limiting for my tastes. It takes a submoa rifle and turns it into a 1.5 to 2moa gun or worse at ranges greater than 200. For that reason i cant justify buying an optic that decreases the capability of my rifle.

Im not saying this as a hater of acogs i absolutely love them, i own one, but i love them for what they are and what they are designed to do. They arent magic devices that turn a firearm into a sniper gun they are pretty much a fancy rock solid version of iron sights. Even so i can shoot irons more accurately than i can a acog.

While it will get the job done in a very sledghammer way there are better options especially in that price range for a 308. If your spending that much i would seriously look at a 2.5-10 or 1-4 nightforce.

truevil1313 06-12-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1274224)
Acogs are fantastic battle optics. They arent for hunting in the slightest. They are designed to allow easier hits on a 18" by 18" target out to 600-800m depending on reticle.

I have a acog on my bcm ar15 i would like one on my scar17 just like your looking at. The issue i have is i use my scar17 for more than ohsht so i want a little more versatility.

If ohsht happens i could drop the acog on my scar zero for 200 and be good for quite a distance for rapid target engagement. But i bought a trijicon accupoint instead for it which gives me almost all the capabilities of the acog but more versatility and allows me to take full advantage of the 308 cartridge in its gp role.

The 4x32 acog on a 308 is a little too limiting for my tastes. It takes a submoa rifle and turns it into a 1.5 to 2moa gun or worse at ranges greater than 200. For that reason i cant justify buying an optic that decreases the capability of my rifle.

Im not saying this as a hater of acogs i absolutely love them, i own one, but i love them for what they are and what they are designed to do. They arent magic devices that turn a firearm into a sniper gun they are pretty much a fancy rock solid version of iron sights. Even so i can shoot irons more accurately than i can a acog.

While it will get the job done in a very sledghammer way there are better options especially in that price range for a 308. If your spending that much i would seriously look at a 2.5-10 or 1-4 nightforce.

Thank you very much, this was helpful.

truevil1313 06-14-2013 02:12 PM

Well I just pulled the trigger and got the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 and got a LaRue mount, that is guaranteed to return to zero if removed and reinstalled. I have one of these mounts for my Aimpoint, and it has proven itself to me.
I have spent a lot of time on here and talking to some professionals I know, and this set up makes a lot of sense, even if it was twice as much as the ACOG. My buddy's point is with this setup I don't really have to buy another scope ever again. I can put it on whatever rifle I get, zero it, record the changes I made, and be good to go back to the other rifle very quickly and easily.
The 3.5-15 made sense to me too. Why limit myself to a fixed 4 power? You guys were right.
The ACOG makes sense to me on my Sig 556R chambered in 7.62x39(I have the 3x32 on that one, with the x39 reticle) because that is a 200 yard gun at best, and is truly only minute of man with that round. This is why I was leaning towards the ACOG in the first place.
Thanks guys for setting me straight.

Sniper03 06-14-2013 02:34 PM

Truevil,

You can not go wrong with your selection of the optics system chosen! Good Job!

AggieCJ 06-14-2013 04:54 PM

I have an ACOG TA-31F on my 5.56 and a Ziess 20x on another one as my prairie dog gun agree that the ACOGis a battle rifle designed to hit man size targets. If you want more pinpoint accuracy a 4.5-20x is better.