A2 front sight post pins - Page 2


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > A2 front sight post pins

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post

I may have misunderstood Mr. Dillinger's suggesting drilling out the center of the "roll pins". They are solid pins holding on the FSB.
Really? Huh. Well, I was thinking roll pins, which are very common in a lot of AR's that I have worked on.

If you have solid pins, that is even better, as they are not self expanding like a roll pin does.

Choose a very small drill bit and drill the center out of the full pin. But I would not do it by free hand. I would definitely opt for a drill press at the very least.

Then saturate heavily with a penetrating liquid like Mobil 1 Synthetic and whack it with a good sized hammer and a brass punch.

JD


__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

50 tons.

I took my upper to an engineer/machinist recommended by a gunsmith I consulted. He put my sight post in a press, and tried to punch it out. Nothing. So he milled a custom punch with a concave tip and tried again. He bent the punch and muttered, "That shouldn't happen. Hmm." Next he milled a sturdier concave tipped punch and a custom block to hold it steady, and tried again. Nothing. Finally he put a hardened steel T block on the pin, and put it in his heavy duty, no-bull**** press. The pins finally yielded to 50 effing tons of pressure. Even once he had 'broken the seal', so to speak, he still had to go back to his smaller press to get the pins all the way out. Del-Ton does not intend for their products to be disassembled.


__________________

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,198
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
50 tons.

I took my upper to an engineer/machinist recommended by a gunsmith I consulted. He put my sight post in a press, and tried to punch it out. Nothing. So he milled a custom punch with a concave tip and tried again. He bent the punch and muttered, "That shouldn't happen. Hmm." Next he milled a sturdier concave tipped punch and a custom block to hold it steady, and tried again. Nothing. Finally he put a hardened steel T block on the pin, and put it in his heavy duty, no-bull**** press. The pins finally yielded to 50 effing tons of pressure. Even once he had 'broken the seal', so to speak, he still had to go back to his smaller press to get the pins all the way out. Del-Ton does not intend for their products to be disassembled.
Forgive me if this was already suggested, as I came in late on this one...but did you ever contact Del-ton directly and ask them how the pins were installed and how they get them out? Just curious. Everything you went through almost seems like they were welded in or something.
__________________
slowryde45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Forgive me if this was already suggested, as I came in late on this one...but did you ever contact Del-ton directly and ask them how the pins were installed and how they get them out? Just curious. Everything you went through almost seems like they were welded in or something.
They said that the muzzle devices were fastened with loctite, everythin else should be normal. I guess they just don't mess around when they install pins... The machinist was blown away.
__________________

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,198
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
They said that the muzzle devices were fastened with loctite, everythin else should be normal. I guess they just don't mess around when they install pins... The machinist was blown away.
Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever heard of anyone going through all that you did to get the front pins out. I don't know if that's a tribute to the way they build their uppers or not - it sounded more and more like they were welded in or epoxied. But hey, my hat goes off to you for sticking with it to get 'er done
__________________
slowryde45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,436
Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Loc Tite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
They said that the muzzle devices were fastened with loctite, everythin else should be normal. I guess they just don't mess around when they install pins... The machinist was blown away.
Hind sight is 20-20, A cigarette lighter would have worked in this case. 400 degrees would have broke down the Loc Tite and the pins would just tap out. Ps Iv'e got 4 pics of a machinist that was caught up in his work but never blown away!
__________________
willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Hind sight is 20-20, A cigarette lighter would have worked in this case. 400 degrees would have broke down the Loc Tite and the pins would just tap out. Ps Iv'e got 4 pics of a machinist that was caught up in his work but never blown away!
No, the pins in question did NOT have loctite, just a crap load of pressure. The flash hider has loctite.
__________________

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #18
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Troy Michalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bastrop,Texas
Posts: 2,475
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

No worries Daggle, Del-Ton made up for it on mine. They forgot to put a pin in it at all and I had to send it back. It was a close one too. I didn't see it until I was bore sighting the red dot I had just put on it.



__________________
- Make everything count -


Troy Michalik is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
front sight Mack Bolan General Handgun Discussion 1 04-01-2010 09:18 PM
Front sight? Westy Revolver Handguns 6 09-28-2009 11:54 PM
Broken front sight. Help please Jo da Plumbr General Handgun Discussion 4 05-08-2009 02:06 PM
CZ 75 front sight kdog Gunsmithing Forum 3 02-27-2009 04:15 PM