Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   95% Lower Receiver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/95-lower-receiver-103421/)

MisterMcCool 01-29-2014 10:53 PM

95% Lower Receiver

1 Attachment(s)
American Spirit Arms advertised a 95% lower receiver blank that requires SLIGHTLY less milling by the end user.
http://www.americanspiritarms.com/lower-receivers/asa-m4-ar-15-95-percent-lower-receiver/
Attachment 134610

no offense and none taken
BannedBackTogether@email.com

Sgt_Skrb_25 01-30-2014 01:08 AM

No brother that's an 80% lower. Still have to drill trigger and hammer pin holes and breach the fire group well, and trigger. Not sure what they are thinking

Triumphman 01-30-2014 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 (Post 1494586)
No brother that's an 80% lower. Still have to drill trigger and hammer pin holes and breach the fire group well, and trigger. Not sure what they are thinking

Actually there's been more done to this Receiver than the 80% models.
The Receiver Attachment Pin holes are drilled, the Buffer Tube Hole is threaded, Trigger Swing Plate holes are drilled and some other holes drilled.
Looks to be only thing needing finished is the Hammer/Trigger Compartment area.
Would still need a proper Jig to get proper depths and the Trigger/Hammer Holes drilled and such, and a File/Dremel to finish up the finer details.
I do see to get a more finished Receiver, you're paying more for it, but for what little you need to do, it might be worth it to some folks.

I retract my statement after investigating some more. Looks to be only 80%+ done, but less than what ASA considers to be 95%.

Ez2b 01-30-2014 02:50 PM

The only difference between a 90 80 percent lower is the 90 has the pocket right in front of the buffer to pre drilled because it's hard to drill with a drill press.
Everything out this is exactly the same. same amount drilling except for that 1 little pocket

EZ

clr8ter 01-30-2014 03:14 PM

I wouldn't pay extra for that one. Now, what I would pay extra for s all of the holes drilled. Trigger pin hole, etc. That would leave the 2 pockets on top, and the slot for the trigger. With a milling machine, it'd get real easy. Personally, I would never try to do this project with a drill press. To many opportunities to screw it up. It'd be like trying to block sand a car with an angle grinder. LOL

Ez2b 01-30-2014 04:09 PM

It's easier than you would think I've even seen people use a drill hand drill that is that I would not try lol.
Nothing wrong with a drill press even if you had a mill you still have to do the sides with a drill press

EZ

clr8ter 01-30-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with a drill press even if you had a mill you still have to do the sides with a drill press
There's plenty wrong doing it with a drill press, and no, if using a milling machine, that's all you need. You wouldn't even need the jigs.

A mill, (AKA Bridgeport, knee mill, vertical mill), is basically a drill press on steroids. I will do everything a drill press will do, and also holds the work very securely in a vise, bolted to an X/Y table. Some also have power feed on the table, as well as on the quill. A mill also has the ability to very securely hold, (usually using R-8 collets, but sometimes a drill chuck), various cutting tools. End mills, ball end mills, fly cutters, taps, drill bits, etc. Also, the mill may have, if you're lucky, a DRO. (Digital Read Out), that tells you exactly where you are, in relation to a zero point that you can set, both in X and Y. If no DRO, there are graduations on the hand wheels that do the same thing, but not as easily.

A drill press, on the other hand, is going to force you to use a jig, (more $$), does not hold tools or the work as securely, doesn't tell you where you are, give a zero point, have power feed, or a DRO, and is going to probably, from what I've seen, force you to use an end mill to finish off the side walls, using your hands to guide the jig. Not conducive to getting a good finished project. Not saying it can't be done, but the chances of success are much less. It's at best a half-a$$ed solution to the problem.

LOL, doing it with a hand drill alone, you might as well take that 80% lower and throw it in a tree shredder.

Ez2b 01-30-2014 04:44 PM

I agree with you if you have a mil by all means use it most people don't .
I have seen drill press that have a digital read out on it.
You can Chuck up a end mill in a drill press so it can be done.
I'm sure you have at least looked at it on youtube right

EZ

clr8ter 01-30-2014 04:50 PM

I have. All indications I get is that it's a PITA. You can indeed put an end mill in a drill press. But it won't hold it that well. A Drill press also usually does not have an XY table, and the DRO on the XY table is what I'm talking about. A DRO on a DP is most likely on the spindle. Not too useful. You COULD put an XY table on a DP. It's still not as ridged as a Mill, so accuracy is going to suffer. and you STILL probably have no way to tell where you are….

Ez2b 01-30-2014 04:59 PM

Well obviously to buy a lower complete lower is the way to go some of us are forced to do 80 percent

Just in case you don't know I'm in California darn it lol.

My jig only cost me $80 and it guide you completely through the whole process. correct your depth is very critical but very easy to accomplish

EZ