Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 80% recomendation please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you clr8ter, I've been thinking about going jigless since you mentioned it, and my confidence is slowly building up. Yes, I was confusing a forging with a casting. I wasn't aware they did forging on these. Especially of aluminum ones. Anyway, I think the biggest challenge would be securing the 80% in a vice or to the table w/o a jig. I've been staring at a lower since you mentioned it. I have a cheap Tslot clamp set, for my bench press mill. It probably wouldn't be to bad for boring the pins, but to hold the thing upright for milling out the trigger well etc., I'm not seeing it right now, especially if I get one w/ a trigger guard. Any ideas or suggestions on holding the thing?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #12

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Well, it appears to me that the spot on the receiver where the hole for the safety lever goes is flat and parallel on both sides. try grabbing it there with a vise. You haven't said yet if you have a DRO. (Digital Read Out) That would let you put a stop on the vise, so the part is in the same position each time. Then write down the numbers on the DRO when you get to end points, so you can put in another part, and go to the same number as you mill. You should be able to mill the whole pocket including the slot for the trigger guard in one position. Of course, it'll have to be turned for the 2 holes. I'd actually think about drilling the 2 holes 1st, so I didn't have to flip it over. Get the best drill bits you can find, and go way slow. Maybe drill slightly undersize and ream it, too. (You should know that while I know something about machining, I'm not a machinist, BTW)

PS, if you need further assistance, it might be better to PM me, since I'm not getting e-mails when someone posts to a thread I'm subscribed to. Don't know why....

Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20848 Times on 11852 Posts
Likes Given: 52393

just a curious question or a suggestion maybe, but what about contacting the people that make the jigs, and see which lowers they recommend with their jigs? just an idea that came to me last night.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6571 Times on 3591 Posts
Likes Given: 12867

Someone advertised on the forum an 80% lower that required no jig. It was within the last month or so. Does anybody remember that? I will look.
Found it but they are polymer. EPLOWERS

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 10-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The height of my vise jaws are about 1.350 and with the triangular part that the pistal grip slides over is going to be an obstacle. With that in the way, I can only grab onto about the bottom 1/4" of the area your talking about, and a width of about .800 because of trigger guard. So not much to hold onto there, and a whole lot haging out on the side that needs milled. I'm going to remove the jaws off the vise, and see what under them. If it's not to much work, I might be able to make some taller jaws out of some cold roll flat. It's either that or get a jig. No digital readout or anything fancy. It's just a medium grade benchpress mill. I got a vise stop and the vertical and cross feed screws are .200 per revolution and are marked in .001 incurments. I've got a dial indicator on a magnet for the quill, so I should be OK as long as I'm paying attention. The only two thing I need to watch out for is a mental mistake, and the table will walk a little if I don't take baby light cuts. Axxe55, yes, i did contact them, they say they don't know for sure if it works on other billets, but they say it will work on the ones they sell. I have a casting one right now, and I'm not happy with it. I'm going to be buying a couple other billets of different brands, so, I'll just have to play it by ear as we go. Thanks for the thought mr. cool. Thank you clr8ter.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 935 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Have you checked this guys video?

Also there are several How To with delrin lowers etc.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #17

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
not for sure a person can manufacter firearm parts to sell without an FFL either.

i think they need to contact the BATF and get some good information before jumping into this blindly.
I am an FFL now. You have to get a CL 7 FFL to manufacture a firearm for the purpose of selling it. That includes just assembling the parts and/or milling out your 80% lower. Either way, if you do it for the purpose of selling, you need a FFL.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Excellent job steel Talon, I saw some other videos that were a waste. I like it.