Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 80% receivers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 80% receivers

Does anyone know the quality of the Ares Arms 80% receivers? They make 10/22 and 1911 frames as well. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19947 Times on 11336 Posts
Likes Given: 50308

well here's the deal. from everywhere i have looked and researched, the BATF doesn't classify them as a firearm so they do not have to go through an FFL for purchase. that's the good side of the story. now the bad. they are only 80% complete and as such the BATF considers them a hunk of metal, that will require some machining in order to make it into a firearm. now here's what is required, most likely a milling machine and a drill press and associated tooling to complete the reciever. now YOU, have to do this work. it can not be done by someone else, YOU have to do it. now you can get assistance and advice on how to do it, but you personally have to complete it for it to be legal in the eyes of the BATF. so in all reality unless you have access to the required equipment and the skills or someone who can supervise you, it's pretty much a waste of time and money. another point to consider is this, it doesn't have to be serial number marked, but the BATF suggests you do and also, you can build it for personal use and enjoyment, but you can not sell it.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ares armor will hook you up with the machnery that makes finishing them a breeze, for a fee.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 69 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I believe the BATF says that you cannot make the lower with the INTENT to sell it. You can sell it later down the line if you so desire just like any other person to person firearms sale. To make it with the INTENT to sell it makes you a manufacturer and therefore subject to all applicable BATF laws.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19947 Times on 11336 Posts
Likes Given: 50308

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
I believe the BATF says that you cannot make the lower with the INTENT to sell it. You can sell it later down the line if you so desire just like any other person to person firearms sale. To make it with the INTENT to sell it makes you a manufacturer and therefore subject to all applicable BATF laws.

EDUB
i believe you are probably correct on that. i gather from what i read that you can not machine them, turn them into a firearm and sell them. again, i believe the th intent to sell for gain is probably more accurate.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 AM   #6

If you want to make em and sell em for money you won't be able to. The cost of the lower, engraving it and finishing it cost way more than just buying a finished one.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 69 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The people who I talk to about 80% lowers, want to get them because they are "OFF THE GRID". No BATF paperwork will make it harder for the government to take them in the event of a gun grab.

And honestly that's the only reason I've considered one myself.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by losack View Post
Does anyone know the quality of the Ares Arms 80% receivers? They make 10/22 and 1911 frames as well. Thanks!
Honestly I've never bought one, but know that they run build parties for completion of ar 10/22 and 1911 80%ers a couple times a week. On a local forum that I also frequent, Calguns.net I've yet to see someone complain about the quality of of their products or their customer service.

They are a great group of guys who love to shoot. Their store is about a 45 min drive from me and I've been down there a bunch of times buy their gear. They make pretty unique stuff, and all the stuff that I've bought has worked out great.

Can't be of much more help than that, sorry, but if you get any of their 80%ers let me know! I've been considering doing a 1911, and a 10/22 for a while!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
The people who I talk to about 80% lowers, want to get them because they are "OFF THE GRID". No BATF paperwork will make it harder for the government to take them in the event of a gun grab.

And honestly that's the only reason I've considered one myself.

EDUB
One of the only ways to legally own an AR pistol here in Kommiefornia is to build one from an 80% lower. It was a pain in the ass, took a long time, and cost me a nice chunk of change. I did spread it out over 5 recievers (with a couple of my friends) I think the average price of each one out the door, was about $250. Not including about my time and labor. So ya,if you trying to stay under the grid as they say, it is a viable option.

I've always wanted a 1911, but, I dunno if going with a 80% is what I'd want to do, it is less expensive to do it that way but, I dunno. A 10/22 build would be sweet but, honestly they are soo cheap new ($200 complete) , its almost not even worth the trouble.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #10

Several companies offer 80% lowers. If you have a drill press and a good adjustable vise for it, the machining is not too hard. Just go slow. In SD we can legally build suppressors too. Just cant sell them or leave the state with them. Saves you the $200 tax stamp.