80% Lower receiver question.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

80% Lower receiver question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I am now going to use this thread to ask all the questions about my build. That way I dont need to start a ton of threads asking questions. Can a mod change the title to " my build questions" or is there a way for me to do it myself ? Thanks.
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Last edited by beastmode986; 11-06-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I have decided that I am going to make a lower from an 80% instead of just buying one but I have a few questions.
This ones stupid but... this is 100% legal on a federal level right? As long as I don't sell it or build it for other people?

California members, is there anything I need to worry about in California?

My dad's friend knows a guy who will sets up his milling machine for ar15 lowers, if I go about that route will it turn out better then using another guys jig and tools?(It will cost me less).

Is there a difference between any of the 80% lowers I can choose from besides some being billet lowers and some being regular?

Is 80$ a good price for a 80% lower?

Thanks
80% lowers are not considered a firearm by the BATF, just a chunk of metal. according to BATF, a person may build a firearm from scratch as long as it a legal to own firearm and meets all the BATF rules. if you are building a rifle, it still has to have at least a 16" barrel and be 26" OAL to be legal unless you register it as a SBR. means you still have to build it according to what you can buy legally. you can't build or manufacter it with the intention of selling for a profit. according to the BATF, it does not have to have a serial number, but they do recommend that you do so, to save future hassles.

now with you being underage and living in California, there may be state laws that you have to comply with. these are things i have no knowledge of. with the political climate and laws in that state in regards to firearms, it may even be prohibited.

if his milling machine is set up to do it, IMO, yes it should yield much better results if done correctly.

$80 seems a bit high to me. seems like for not much more you can buy a lower that's ready to go. might do some more research on prices of lowers and 80% lowers and see what the market is like in regards to price.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #3

Liked 108 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I know this about California. You MUST use a Bullet Button. If you don't know, this is a special button for the Magazine release.

You will not be able to sell/give the Lower to anybody outside of a Family Member which can inherit, unless your City/State Law prevents this. At which time it then goes to a Law Enforcement Officer for distruction. This is only for the Lower. the Upper you can do with it as you like.

Not knowing your Age, California may have a Law restricting you from owning a Firearm. Some States it's 18 for Rifles, 21 for all other types of Firearms. Check your State Firearm Laws.
Del

Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I have been pricing 80% lowers lately and unfortunately they are extremely overpriced right now. I don't know why that is.

I haven't found one in stock online for less than $100. Now from what I remember you could pick one up for around $40-60 about a year or so ago.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Liked 561 Times on 379 Posts

Yeah 80 percent lower still seem too high for me .PSA does have a lower for $59 though great price. It is a Blem lower but a awesome price

Palomito State Armory

Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I read that BATF was after persons who milled or allowed the use of their machining for the completion of a receiver. Only the owner can actually complete his receiver. May be wrong on this as it is a bit cloudy maybe members can clarify the use of a machine shop or CNC equipment.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
I read that BATF was after persons who milled or allowed the use of their machining for the completion of a receiver. Only the owner can actually complete his receiver. May be wrong on this as it is a bit cloudy maybe members can clarify the use of a machine shop or CNC equipment.
the part i read a few years ago, was the person who owned the 80% reciever had to do the actual work for it to be legal. but could be counseled, assisted and instructed on how to do the project. i you take one to a machine shop and drop it off and they do the work, that's not legal. the person that owns the reciever has to have his hands on the project. a machinist can assist you and even help you, he just can't do the work for you.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #8

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

So can someone tell me if i need to anodize it? Can it be cerakoted instead? how much does it usually cost?
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Liked 2485 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
So can someone tell me if i need to anodize it? Can it be cerakoted instead? how much does it usually cost?
Anodizing should be done, as it gives a certain ammount of surface hardness to the aluminum. Probably run you another $30-50 by the time you deal with shipping. I'm going to say, you are usually better off picking up a finished lower

Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

There are lowers that are already anodized. Only the part you machine would not be, but it seems to me they are not critical surfaces anyway. Not all anodizing adds hardness. Only certain types, (hard coat), and at least around here would add much more than $50, just for the lot charge.
If it were me, I'd buy an already anodized one, have my father's buddy help me, forget about the shiny interior surfaces, and have fun. Sometimes it's not about the $ savings, ya know?